What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picoreef2.5

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is this brown spot on the frag it's been in this take a while but recently white stuff has been coming out and going back in? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424302960.011037.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also should I frag off these larger stalks ? Iv seen them up to 1 1/2"

Looks like one of those snail things. I have them too... Does it look like spiderwebs coming from it? I usually just break them off and remove it. I hear they can be bothersome to corals.

30g cube
Pair of Flurry Clowns
Picasso Clown
Wide-bar Clown
20g FOWLR
Pair of Nearly Naked Clowns

Vermedit Gastropod. These are sessile snails that can, on occasion, irritate nearby corals just through constant contact with their feeding web/strand but are otherwise harmless.

30g cube
Pair of Flurry Clowns
Picasso Clown
Wide-bar Clown
20g FOWLR
Pair of Nearly Naked Clowns

Vermetid snails are awful. I had a real bad outbreak of the large ones in my reef tank. Their webbing doesn't just irritate the corals, it can do so to death of them. Small ones you can simply break off. Larger ones I use super glue gel and glue the trap door shut. This is something that you need to manage while there is only one as the population can easily get out of control. It took me months to solve the problem in my tank when I didn't address it quickly. Many corals couldn't recover and others are scarred forever because of these guys.

Wow okay good to know next time I disrupt them I'll try to pick it off or glue it shut, do they reproduce fast ? In the past two weeks all of my corals have split and created more will they grow as fast as corals?

It depends on how much food they are eating out of the water column is my assumption. I had enough to keep a coco worm alive, so they thrived as well. Their reproduction will go along with that.

Vermetid snails are awful. I had a real bad outbreak of the large ones in my reef tank. Their webbing doesn't just irritate the corals, it can do so to death of them.

Your case is the first time I'm reading of this actually happening.I can't say it's a common occurrence. I have plenty of them and don't see any neighboring corals bothered, let alone dying.

Back
Top Bottom