What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glstine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been cycling my tank for about 1 1/2 weeks now and I have discovered at least 4 of these snail looking things. I tried to get a photo, but I definitely need to work on my tank photography, plus they hide when the light is on.

Basically, they are the color of pea soup and they look like soft shell snails. Does this sound familiar to anybody? If so, are they suitable inhabitants for my tank? It is a reef tank and these came out of my rock.

Also, I have these white with black stripe string things I see poking out of holes in my LR. Does this sound like spaghetti worms? It seems like I saw a reference to these some where?

Where's a good place to find references for these critters?

Thanks for any help.

Can you describe the first critter a little better. Size, description of the shell, behavior, etc.

The second critter sounds like the legs of a brittlestar. Again, size & behavior would help.

Without a photo we'll need every possible detail you can see.

I'm going to try to take a picture first thing in the morning when I turn the light on.

I think I got a fairly good pic. I'm quite positive it is a snail. Any ideas on what type and if it is good to have? These little guys are pretty quick and are quite active. The other thing I think is probably a brittle star, the "strings" sticking out are to small to photograph, but after staring at it for a while I think the star theory is correct.

It looks like a

stomatella.jpg

The Hitchhiker FAQ said:
This is most likely a Stomatella varia. It is a small reef-safe herbivore. A nice grazer that will reproduce readily and will consume diatoms with gusto

Back
Top Bottom