What is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
saywill said:
also use bottled fresh water
I've heard of people testing bottled, distilled water from grocery stores and finding ammonia in it. A check of your bottled water would be a great idea. I'd also recommend just using the media container w/ the HOB emperor for GAC, purigen, etc. Not the pads. The pads collect dirt too fast, and cause issues(NO2, NO3). As mentioned bio-wheels have been known to produce excessive amounts of NO3 on systems w/ LR. Something to keep in mind. Running GAC, or a similar chemical media, along w/ a good skimmer, will keep the water clear.

but when it is completely covered, does the live rock lose it's purpose?
That is a good point that is often over looked. Over time coralline, corals, etc. will block the pores of LR and effect it's filtering ability. Not only does it choke off the animals inside, it blocks water from passing in and out. It's not something you can do much about though, AFAIK, if your water chemistry is good and you have decent lighting. That may be one of a few things that leads to what is called "old tank" syndrome. A legitimate concern, but I would not be overly concerned by it.

I actually just finished the chapter in my reef chemistry book that goes over this.

It says that you will see a decrease in alk, as aquariums age the corals and coralline algae grow which increases the demand for calcium and carbonate alk. Detritus occumulation in the substrate , in time bottom substrata collect detritus that impedes the advective flow of water, decreasing the o2. Phosphate occumulation, not usually a problem, but can happen. Heavy metal accumulation, accumulation of allelopathic coral metabolites. Flow reduction in old pumps, lights...etc etc. ALl contributes. I think is says something like replacing the LR and sand every 3-5 years. I would have to double check to be sure.

Good point MT79.

^^All those things are good reasons for not overstocking or feeding, doing regular 10-20% PWC's, using chemical filtration 24/7( GAC, purigen, etc.), having lots of flow to keep dirt/detritus suspended until it can be removed, and having a good skimmer to remove excess DOC's. Good info Marc.

Since I posted this, I have purchased purigen, a RO system to make my own water, and I will now do bi weekly water and filter changes, thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom