What is this? Algae, Diatoms, Cyano???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosesrblu1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I have had my 54g tank running for about 3 years, and about 4 months ago turned it into a reef. I am now seeing all this brown junk on the sand. At one point I had an issue with Cyano (red) and used chemi clean to get rid of it (about 2 months ago).

So I have this brown junk on the sand, and have started running a gfo under the drip plate of my wet/dry along with chemipure. My ammonia is 0, trites are 0, but my trates are about 20.

I have siphoned the top layer of sand several times when doing my 10% pwc and I am currently using tropic Marin salt. So, what is this, and how do I get rid of it. It looks gross.

Thanks and any help is graciously appreciated.

image-1386013496.jpg

Rosesrblu1 said:
Hi everyone,

I have had my 54g tank running for about 3 years, and about 4 months ago turned it into a reef. I am now seeing all this brown junk on the sand. At one point I had an issue with Cyano (red) and used chemi clean to get rid of it (about 2 months ago).

So I have this brown junk on the sand, and have started running a gfo under the drip plate of my wet/dry along with chemipure. My ammonia is 0, trites are 0, but my trates are about 20.

I have siphoned the top layer of sand several times when doing my 10% pwc and I am currently using tropic Marin salt. So, what is this, and how do I get rid of it. It looks gross.

Thanks and any help is graciously appreciated.

Its diatoms question is why now? Never had fish only but always had reef they will burn off. My diamond and brown barred goby do a great job keeping sand in clean

Hey you need to get ur self cleaner shrimp or hermit crab . That will help clean it out that junk

I actually have both, fire shrimp,and hermits along with a brittle star and Nass snails. I was at the Lfs today and the guy said it looks like Cyano, even though it's not red. It comes up,clumpy and doesn't blow off the sand easily.

Gonna try the Chemi clean, full dose this time and get a dual reactor from BRS and run the gfo and chemipure in their. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for everyones input and advice. This forum rocks!

Do you have any powerheads . That will help corculate the junk out to the skimmer

Update...

I am still battling the issue even though I have reduced my trates and phosphates to more acceptable levels...but now my skimmer crapped out. Bought the eshopps psk100h yesterday and in the process of mounting my lights to be able to remove the glass lid to hang it on. I should be able to get it all done by the end of the weekend. Also, I discovered that it's not diatoms or Cyano. It's GHA growing on the sand...I have some in the tank as well, so once the skimmer is functioning I should be able to reduce the nutrients. I also noticed that in areas with less lighting and flow, the sand was not affected and remains clean. My fish guy told me to dial down the whites and I am doing that today. I also heard that if you dial down the reds it will help too...I am soooo over this junk on my sand...

Back
Top Bottom