What is this Algae!!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the 10 years I been reefing I have never come across this algae before. I have taken every rock and scrubbed the life out of it. Did a huge water change. Added phosphate media, clean everything I can clean including skimmer and sump. And this crap came back the next day with a vengance! Anyone know what it is? It's not cyano or dinos....

https://youtu.be/uCt7JOakVMA

along with that hairy stuff are you noticing any pink cottony buildups anywhere
I had something that looked similar to your video but I had cottony build ups in spots
and it was no fun .

I would say do a few large water changes to get out any excess nutrients that could be fueling it
catch it before it grows

Last edited:
Do you have spaghetti worms? In the video it kinda looks like them. Can't see them detail. If you cleaned so much they are probably really hungry. (I don't know just looks kinda like it)

Do you have spaghetti worms? In the video it kinda looks like them. Can't see them detail. If you cleaned so much they are probably really hungry. (I don't know just looks kinda like it)

Nah no worms. This algae is weird.

ok this may sound crazy I just cleaned my front glass with mag float/scraper , the crud that came from my glass looked and sounds like the same stuff , it looked green with long hairy strands , so Im wondering do you only see this after cleaning the glass like I did .
it seems like it could be what you described that's why I mentioned it

Back
Top Bottom