What is this coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefgazer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I bought a price of live rock with what I thought was dead coral, however since putting it in my tank the rock has gone from being white to a browny cookout with smallish tentacles, to me it looks a bit like a colony of close packed zoanthids. CAn anyone help me out with the identification if these guys

Attachments

• image-1122005437.jpg
    image-1122005437.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 178
  • image-562611155.jpg
    image-562611155.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 178
It is a zoa colony, and a pretty darn nice one at that!! As far as the ID, there are so many out there........

If you touch it is it soft? To me it looks like a dead LPS coral like a flower pot coral.

I can try and get a better photo tonight when I get home from work close up it looks similar to other zoas in my tank, I have just never seen them in a colony like that or brown ones or seen them retract the way they do, I will get a photo of them closed/retracted tonight when I get home to.

Leptastrea (a small-polyped LPS encrusting coral).
The diameter of the polyps are somewhat less than soft coral zoanthids (approx 2mm-4mm).

When removed from the water you can tell that it's a stony coral. The polyps contract in a completely different way than zoa's and the skeleton becomes very evident; the white area's were either bleached polyps or coral skeleton.

Here's my orange leptastrea frag-colony for comparison:
img_2399933_0_1ae4e9ff89d7250ec2f8a3405c228cbe.jpg

Green-centered leptastrea colony (completely encrusted the live rock):
img_2399933_1_4d0eee9ac61be7b79fdccad7cbf832a3.jpg

rc_kaybee19_sig.png

Back
Top Bottom