What Is This Gunk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have this red gunk forming on mainly just these two rocks in my tank. It is real slimey, and gunks off sometimes. Some of the gunk is floating on the surface of the water. What is it? Thanks.

OK, I take a look at the pic for PH placement and such. The circled Cyno is like a cave like area and cant be reached by the powerhead placement I have. What can I do?

Also I cant move the rock.TIA!

Thats cyno.... Move a PH for a few days to get flow in that area. Or try and suck it out with a baster or some tubing. I get it from time to time and it goes away after it feeds off of the excess nutrients in that area. I get it in some low flow areas where I have a lot of corals on the sand.

No doubt, Cyano. Increased flow, reduced feeding, and syphon it off every chance you get. If you have it floating on the surface then you need a power head situated so that it breaks the water surface.

As long as the cave has some openings to back and/or sides there should be enough water flow to prevent cyano as long as your nutrient levels are in check. Make sure your LR is not packed too closely as this will restrict your water flow.

Back
Top Bottom