What is this little guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought a dead clam shell today and noticed this little guy on it after I put it in my tank what is it???

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Looks like a baby aiptasia to me. It's a pest anemone. Squirt a tiny amount of vinegar close to its mouth and it should die, some say lemon juice works too.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Now wait why would I get rid of it??? I'm not very smart when it comes to hitch hikers I've only had a couple so please educate me :)

They reproduce quickly and overwhelm tanks. They sting both fish and coral. Pulling on them literally 'shatters' them, hence the name glass anemone and will result in even more populating your tank. Get it out while you can.

They reproduce quickly and overwhelm tanks. They sting both fish and coral. Pulling on them literally 'shatters' them, hence the name glass anemone and will result in even more populating your tank. Get it out while you can.

+1 I had tons of these in my tank because I didn't take care of them quickly enough. Thankfully my dinoflagellate problem seems to have killed them all......

Hmmmm alright thanks I'll get rid of this little guys thanks for the help you guys! :) also real quick I have what I believe is a rock nem and my Valentini puffer keeps nipping at it what would be the reason behind that???

Got it lol it looks like it stopped so I think I'm good haha

Got it lol it looks like it stopped so I think I'm good haha

I'm going to highly challenge this. We've been talking about things going on in your system for a long time and it seems to always end up thinking that 'I'm good' and then never understanding why an anemone stays alive in your tank. We've talked about all of these things. We aren't giving this information to you to make ourselves feel better or benefit our lives, they are for yours and the creatures that end up dying over and over in your tank.

I'm going to highly challenge this. We've been talking about things going on in your system for a long time and it seems to always end up thinking that 'I'm good' and then never understanding why an anemone stays alive in your tank. We've talked about all of these things. We aren't giving this information to you to make ourselves feel better or benefit our lives, they are for yours and the creatures that end up dying over and over in your tank.

I hate to break this to you hank.. but he really doesn't care. He proved that a few years ago when he gave the entire freshwater forum the middle finger and decided that a RTC, a fish that reaches over 4ft long would do perfectly well in a 55g tank.

Some people have more money than sense. You can only lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That RTC is still doing well in the same 55 gallon tank reachin a good foot right now completely healthy. Now this is salt water... I said got in a sense of understanding why the puffer was nipping at the nem it has stopped. Now for the money part every bit of money I get goes to my tanks as for LEDs I've made several several threads on what LEDs to use and no one gives me a realistic LED light someone who's unemployed could get as I said in my most recent thread the LEDs I have now ARE capable of supporting nems so please stop insulting me as I do know what I'm doing...

That RTC is still doing well in the same 55 gallon tank reachin a good foot right now completely healthy. Now this is salt water... I said got in a sense of understanding why the puffer was nipping at the nem it has stopped. Now for the money part every bit of money I get goes to my tanks as for LEDs I've made several several threads on what LEDs to use and no one gives me a realistic LED light someone who's unemployed could get as I said in my most recent thread the LEDs I have now ARE capable of supporting nems so please stop insulting me as I do know what I'm doing...

So rtc has grown large enough to have trouble turning around in a 1ft wide tank.

you "knowing" what youre doing is absolutely the problem. You make these poor choices at a detriment to your live stock knowing full well that its a bad idea. In other words, you make a conscious decision to make these animals suffer which is far far far worse than not knowing and doing it accidentally.

Thank you for proving my point about you not caring.

Now for the money part every bit of money I get goes to my tanks as for LEDs I've made several several threads on what LEDs to use and no one gives me a realistic LED light someone who's unemployed could get
This is not true. Look back at your "LED recommendations" thread. Someone mentioned "Taotronics", and that all you had to do was google it. Good advice and definitely a solution to your issue. Which light did you end up with?

Ok I couldn't find any LEDs with in my price range you may be able to but when I googled it I couldn't find any LEDs under 170$ I have an ORBIT marine LED right now

That fixture may not be enough for anemones my friend. Lots of control-ability, but not much punch I'm afraid.

I brought a nem home from the ocean rock nem I believe it is and it's completely healthy eating opening and closing very responsive to anything that gets near it but it's also closer to my light now the last nem I had died while I was on vacation. So I have no idea what happened to it. I came home to it completely fallen apart stuck to and inside a rock when I picked the rock out it was just terrible mess I had to wash the rock to get it all out I told my LFS and they said since it's falling apart instead of bouncing around it was a ph problem

They don't have a clue what killed it. That's like someone determining how a person died without an autopsy.

But one way or the other now that we are 3-4 anemones down, stop putting them in your tank. If it isn't for the sake of the creature, do so for your wallet until you address the things we've been talking about.

EDIT: Since you haven't been able to locate this, here is a link to one of the current Taotronics units. As this is the 'new' model, price is high. The old ones were going for 90 each at one point. One will cover 2ft of tank so two will be needed. As you've stated money is an issue, simply get one for one side of the tank and save for the other side of the tank...only to keep photosynthetic things on the lighted side.
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics®-TT-AL09-Dimmable-Aquarium-Seaweed/dp/B0092LXQRM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom