What is this please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chatzielein

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
does some one have an idea what these creatures are?
I have a Red Sea Max 130d (34 g)
1 Clown Fish,
1 Blenny,
1 Red Bubble Anemone,
2 Corals,
Hermit Crabs,
Snails
Wild Bristle Worms and other Cretures

Would love to know what this animals are
Thank you :wave:

Attachments

• 4522459432_d38013c6cf.jpg
    4522459432_d38013c6cf.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 4522452336_83a5590b03(2).jpg
    4522452336_83a5590b03(2).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 76
Pineapple sponges. I forget the scientific name, but google won't. lol

They are good filter feeders that come and go. Lemme guess... your tank is 4-7 months old?

The crab may be worrisome.... can you get a better pic?

Thank you!!!
The crab is very very small still, I am afraid that it's the best I can do at this time.

Definately watch that crab. You can catch it by putting a glass in your tank that has some food in the bottom. Lean the glass against the rocks the crads stays in. It will go in for the food but can't climb back out. Then we can identify it for you. :)

you have to be careful with rogue crabs in your tank. I took out a red-eyed xanthid crab that was killing my snails and I just got a small gorilla crab out. They usually behave, somewhat, when small but will take out your fish and corals when they get larger.

I have tried to hunt it down tonight, but it's like he knew and found himself another hiding spot, will try to catch him with a glass over the weekend.
Will try to make a picture of him as soon as I find him.
Is there a fish that might eat him?

Nothing appropriate for that size tank. Use the method Mitchell suggested. You can leave it overnight. The crab (and who knows what else) will be more likely to feed with lights off.

Just found this idea online
20oz pop bottle trap.

What you do is take a 20oz pop bottle.
Cut off the top at about the label.
invert the part you cut off and shove it in tight. Make sure to keep the hole centered.
put some shrimp in it and put it in the area you think the crab is living
Think I might try this out this weekend. Will keep you guys posted :-D

You'll also end up with a bunch of snails caught in there too.

As for fish that would eat the crap: yup there are some. They are usually not reef safe and would also eat any other inverts you have in there.

Yea of course! Did not think about that one ( about eating my inverts) guess happy crab hunting this weekend lol....... wish me luck :-D thx

You can also just use a tilted glass in the tank. The crab can walk down but cant walk back up. BTW You`ll hear those called Q tip sponges also.

Last night I tried to catch the crab with a glass, I did catch a crab but it was a hermit crab lol. Was able to make another picture of him, not sure if this is better to identify him with.
Thank you all :)

4529382299_5d26cb783c_b.jpg

At first I thought it was a hermit crab without a shell, but it's a crab that is upside down, Nice picture but I'm sorry I can't ID it for you. If the claws are pointed it's bad news for fish.

OK I'll keep trying to catch it, so fare no luck. This morning I had 5 hermit crabs in the glass :-D

Back
Top Bottom