What is this? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoveboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought LR and have these 'thingies' on there.
The first is a group of about 6 one inch long fleshy tubes with a kind of flat head and very short tentacles that retract when anything touches them...are they anenomes? I also have a small group of what I think are 'shrooms (?) purple in colour and the largest is about 1.5'' across. Are these guys good?
Have attached pics but poor quality. Will get better pics if needed.
Cheers....

First, Welcome to AA!! :D

It sounds like the 6 inch thingie might either be a bristle worm they do shrink up but they usually move away when anything gets near them. OR if you think it's a type of anemone, it could be aiptasia anemone. This link should help you out, I know it has me many times. http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock1.htm

It also has reference to your mushrooms, pretty cool you got them on your rock, wish I was that lucky with mine.

:D

Salt4Us said:
It sounds like the 6 inch thingie might either be a bristle worm they do shrink up but they usually move away when anything gets near them. OR if you think it's a type of anemone, it could be aiptasia anemone.

:D

Thanks for the pointers Salt...I think my grammar leaves much to be desired. What I meant to say was a group of 6 x 1'' long fleshy tubes. They are sort of rust brown coloured (see bottom pic). I know for definate that they aren't aiptasia as I have a few of these little bu**ers around. (Have just invested in a Peppermint Shrimp to take care of them).
I take it that shrooms are a good thing then?
8)

After looking at the first pic you had a little more carefully, they look like Zoanthids, sounds like you got some nice live rock for sure!

Back
Top Bottom