What is this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys

I recently purchased new live rocks last week and the last 2 days I've noticed a few things coming out. I've taken some pics and I've circled one of them. It looks like an anemone but not sure if it is though. Also on the second pic there is something growing out of the rocks and looks like strings.

What are they and are they ok to keep in my tank with fish? I'm planning to add fish soon but not corals or anemone's just yet so I wanted to know if they are ok to keep or should I remove them?

They circled things look like they alive coz the arms or whatever u call it move and at night they all shriveled down till u turn the lights on and they go back up again.

Thanks heaps

Attachments

• image-3573607653.jpg
    image-3573607653.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 199
  • image-235433944.jpg
    image-235433944.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 166
Don't try to pick/scrape them off. That would be the worst option. You can try to find something like Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X, or Kalkwasser paste. Or you can inject them with lemon juice, blast them with boiling water, or just take the rock out and burn them off with a lighter.

There are plenty of options! (y)

Just make sure you get them all now instead of later when they've infested the entire tank, they spread and grow quick!

Ok so would it be ok if I take rock out and wash it with hot water?

Or should I just take it out and spray boiling water on it and then put it back in?

Thanks

Also today when I got home and turned the lights on my tank I saw this thing looked white and had I think it was like red tiny legs and it ran into a hole in the rocks. I havnt seen it since,

What could it be? It looked like it was like a shrimp or something... I don't know I'm puzzled and havnt been able to see it since.

Thanks

Danny

I used peppermint shrimp to get rid of my aiptasia. It took a couple of weeks but I didn't have to add any chemicals to my DT.

Hey guys thanks for the reply

But now I'm puzzled... If I put peppermint shrimp in the tank can I leave it in the tank with fish or do I need to remove it ?

Or is the aiptasia x a better option.

Or could I tank the tank out and sprey it with directly with boiling water for it to drop off?

Lastly any now what white thing was ??

Thanks heaps

Danny

I found no ill effects from using X. All the Aiptasia that I treated was dead within days and all excess X just dissipated into the water :) I highly recommend it!

Ok I just spoke to 2 different LFS and one of them told me to to take the rock out and leave it out for 24hours and it should die and then I can scrape it off. Does that make sense? He said that the bacteria can survive unto 24 hours and said it's a better option then washing it out.

Peppermint shrimp apparently is hard to get and they said they havn't had any for a while.

They also said if I prefer to use chemicals to use something called lenier aptasia. Has any one heard of it.

Thanks heaps

XxVooDooxX said:
I found no ill effects from using X. All the Aiptasia that I treated was dead within days and all excess X just dissipated into the water :) I highly recommend it!

Firemedic1081 said:
I used peppermint shrimp to get rid of my aiptasia. It took a couple of weeks but I didn't have to add any chemicals to my DT.

I use aiptasia-x will no ill effects. I also have a pep shrimp that takes care of smaller ones I can't see/reach. The shrimp however seem to stay away from the bigger ones. So I take care of those with aiptasia-x

Ok I just spoke to 2 different LFS and one of them told me to to take the rock out and leave it out for 24hours and it should die and then I can scrape it off. Does that make sense? He said that the bacteria can survive unto 24 hours and said it's a better option then washing it out.

Peppermint shrimp apparently is hard to get and they said they havn't had any for a while.

They also said if I prefer to use chemicals to use something called lenier aptasia. Has any one heard of it.

Thanks heaps

Tomorrow run to the pharmacy and get a syringe (cost about a quarter), then run over to a grocery store and get some lemon juice if you don't already have some. When you get home turn off all pumps, powerheads, etc. to completely stop the circulation. Fill the syringe up with lemon juice, SLOWLY place the syringe near the stem of the aiptasia and stick it and inject a bit of lemon juice. Problem solved. Give it 15-30 minutes before resuming circulation.

Taking your LR out of the water will kill off many other things and cause an ammonia spike when you put it back in. Not to mention it probably won't kill the aiptasia, just other stuff. Most important advice is to find another LFS.

Geez you series?

Ok thanks for that only thing I'm worried about is if the lemon juice cause another problem when I start to put fish. Also I have like 5-6 which are from about 1cm up to 3cm in diameter and a whole little ones all over the rock. Can I take the rock out, spray it all over (mainly around them) and then put it back in the tank after say an hour or so so the juice dries up??

Thanks

The juice trick only works in the tank if you physically inject them with it, like with a syringe. Not spraying it on top of them.

Geez you series?

Ok thanks for that only thing I'm worried about is if the lemon juice cause another problem when I start to put fish. Also I have like 5-6 which are from about 1cm up to 3cm in diameter and a whole little ones all over the rock. Can I take the rock out, spray it all over (mainly around them) and then put it back in the tank after say an hour or so so the juice dries up??

Thanks

No, this will not work, and if you're worried about the lemon juice, the 4 drops you put in by injecting it will be negligible, and you're wanting to spray it?

You've been given about 3 or 4 different fixes, but you don't seem interested in any of them. I'm rather new here, but I'd suggest you do your own research, ask questions when needed and if you do ask questions, you can just about bet that you're going to get good advice. And if you do get a bit of bad advice, it won't be too long before someone comes by and corrects it.

tjm80 said:
No, this will not work, and if you're worried about the lemon juice, the 4 drops you put in by injecting it will be negligible, and you're wanting to spray it?

You've been given about 3 or 4 different fixes, but you don't seem interested in any of them. I'm rather new here, but I'd suggest you do your own research, ask questions when needed and if you do ask questions, you can just about bet that you're going to get good advice. And if you do get a bit of bad advice, it won't be too long before someone comes by and corrects it.

Yeah I now what but I wanted to know that if the juice causes problem in the tank.

I've done some other research online and peppermint shrimp seems to be best since no chemicals are being used however none of the LFS stock them so i have to rule that out.

I think what I might do us just take the rock out and get new rock... They seem to be on only 1 rock so far but it's pretty much all over it, that is why it would be hard to use the lemon juice trick since they are also underneath the rock swell so I thought I'd take it out and spray them but if you's are saying it won't work then I might just throw out the rock and just replace it and let it cycle in for another week or so.

Also the advice I'm getting here is pretty good as well. So thanks for everyone's feedback.

I have another question sorry to be a pest but does any one what's that thing growing out of my rocks? It looks like string. It doesn't move so it's not a worm it just grows bigger and longer.

You can see the pic here http://img836.imageshack.us/f/imagelrw.jpg/ and I've circled it so you can see it.

Thanks heaps for everyone's feedback and help.

- Danny

Back
Top Bottom