what is this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dt509

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi,
this is a pic of something I just got today on a new piece of rock, then I noticed another one under an older piece of rock. it sort of looks like a pigs foot or something, very small only about a 1/4 or 1/2 inch across. sort of a greenish-pale color. after i took the pic i noticed it had started to move around, it has a small tail that is sort of a pinkish color. so here is a different pic.
My tank is a mini reef (6 gallon eclipse)

thanks in advance,
dt509

hey actually the pic is to blury to see it that great, it moves around so it can't be a sponge, it has a little tail, could it be a very young horeshoe crab or something
dt509

better pics, What is it?

here are 2 better pics of this thing, it looks like a small horseshoe crab or something.
dt509

merged the two threads together to increase the chance of someone seeing all the pics. Also moving to the ID forum.

cool, thank you. this is my first time on this forum and not sure how everything works yet.
dt509

what is it?

If it's as small as you say it is, then that's not a bad pic at all. It's not easy identifying something that small. If it's possible, and this is only what I would do, someone else might disagree, if you could get a net and maybe a nice clean glass jar, put some tank water in it and see if you can place it in the jar for closer examination... just don't keep it in a jar for long if you did something like that. A few of the pictures it looks like a clam with the toungue hanging out but some of the pics it didn't look like that... hard to tell...

i think it may be hard to catch because it is under some rock near the glass right now. I don't think it's a clam because it kinda moves foreward with a little tail (tounge looking thing) on the bottom towards the back. the top looks a little bit like a pigs foot, but greenish and maybe a bit bumpy or hairy! the bottom is pale or light brown. whatever it is it is weird. i'll try and get another pic. oh yea I thought I had another one under an older piece of rock, buy that looks like it may be something different too.
dt509

no thats not it.... no eyes or shell. When I put the rock in today I actually touched it and thought nothing of it untill it started to move later on. It was soft, kinda felt like a mushroom type of texture.
dt509

here are 2 more pics these were the first ones I took before it started to go under the rock
dt509

Back
Top Bottom