What is this thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
It has a hard tube like a feather duster but has one or two long tenticals coming from it
this is the first time I've seen this thing what is it?

think I found it but still good or bad

Worms With Two Tentacles There are a number of families of tube-dwelling worms that feed by extending two tentacles, often called palps, from their tube out into the water. They feed on small particulate material, and probably also absorb some dissolved organic matter. Representatives of only two of these families are likely to be found commonly in aquaria, however; these families are the Spionidae and the Chaetopteridae.
image009.jpg
Figure 9. A chaetopterid worm feeding by extending its two tentacles from its tube. Spionid worms would look much the same and could not be distinguished without removing the worm from the tube.​
Although much more common than chaetopterids on real reefs, spionids are somewhat rare in reef tanks. They may make an appearance by extending their paired tentacles from a small hole in a piece of reef rock or perhaps a gorgonian or snail shell. They often extend their burrows into the non-living parts of corals and other animals with a calcareous shell. Many spionids are naturally found in sediments, but these particular worms do not seem to be particularly common in reef tanks. Without microscopic identification, it is hard to definitively identify spionids, but they may be distinguished from the following group by examining the worm's body. Spionids typically have a head, but lack other body regions; the front, middle, and back parts of the worms tend to look alike.
The similarity of the body regions is not the case with the chaetopterids, and at least one member of this family may be very abundant in reef tanks. This abundant worm is placed in the genus Phyllochaetopterus. Phyllochaetopterus individuals build a tube out of "hardened" mucus in which they cement sand grains. These tubes can be up to an inch or so in length and are about the diameter of a thin piece of pencil lead. They will be oriented vertically in the sediments or occasionally found filling pre-existing holes in rocks. The worms themselves are quite small, less than a quarter inch long; in fact, in most cases less than a tenth of an inch. Consequently, their typical tube provides them with quite a spacious home. The tentacles are often five to ten times the length of the rest of the worm, and when examined with a hand lens or good magnifying glass, the various regions of the worm may be seen to have distinctly different appearances.
Phyllochaetopterus is generally a benign member of the detritivore group found in reef tanks and they are pretty good scavengers; any particulate material that strikes their tentacles is pulled into the tube and eaten. However, they are gregarious and reproduce well in reef tanks. These two properties may, in time, cause some problems. The worms can form quite large mats with literally hundreds to thousands of tubes all cemented together. These mats quite efficiently exclude other worms from the area, and can seal off the sand bed surface. This, in turn, can cause the emigration of other animals out from under such a patch, which can result in the cementation of sediments under the patch and the failure of the sand bed biological filtration under the patch of worms. Such worm masses need to be periodically broken up or removed from the system, otherwise they may cause the complete failure of a deep sand bed. The reproduction and subsequent patch growth can occur with surprising speed. In a 60 gallon hex tank I once had, I introduced some of these worms and, within about three months, they had literally paved the sand bed surface with their tubes. I attempted to remove them all, and it was not an easy task.
image010.jpg
Figure 10. Phyllochaetopterus sp. Left: Animal in the tube with its tentacles extended. Right: Animal removed from the tube. Note the small regionated body and large tentacles.​

It's a type of tube worm if that isn't obvious lol, I have similar worms but they have two tubes coming out and are neat to watch. It's a pretty safe bet to consider it safe and a valued member of your CUC.

thanks
I knew that much
just popped out of no where and wanted to be sure it was safe

The only things you really need to be concerned with popping up out of no where is aiptasia, crabs and nudibranches. Typically and this doesn't mean all the time the other things popping up are harmless.

Back
Top Bottom