What is this type of alage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
this is what i been looking for online! i cant seem to find it.. i know the one is bubble algae. but i dont know how to get rid of it.. and as for the other i have no freaking clue what it is.. i dont like it.. i think its ulgy lol.
can some one tell me how to get rid of it?

sorry had to put it on phot bucket cant load pictures on here..

img_826500_0_d31f30c2f4ae6fecb01ed15e49ca6de5.jpg

img_826500_1_50c478783304270d58106033153f773c.jpg

img_826500_2_21f102a3ae6c83a0234e1f35365b6c2e.jpg

if ya cant see them just copy past web site in box and hit enter.. sorry but i could not get pictures to come out clear with out a larger pixel.

i know the green bubble is bubble algae. but i dont know what the hairy stuff is..

thats what i am talking about.

also how can i get rid of the bubble alage?

good or bad is easy to answer. Do you like it? Does it grow at a manageable rate? If you answered yes to both questions then it is good. otherwise might be bad, personally I think its cool and would love to take it off your hands if it makes you nervous, I love macro algae in my tanks. I believe it to be of the genus chondria I'm fairly sure on that, species identification is impossible really but none of them appear to be nuisances.

The bubble algae is difficult to get rid of, There are many articles on removal but briefly there are two methods, an emerald crab or manual removal in which you are careful not to burst the algae.

well i guess i could get a crab. but i think i have heard of them being fish rougies(killers) i dont need him killing my single fish at night.
and thank you for answering my question. i hope you right about the macro alage. i dont mind it if its going to be an ok alage. i just did not want to have somthing in the tank if it was bad.

It's tough to tell on the red algae. Can you get a pic of it's base? Try looking up Bangia or Liagora but those are just rough guesses.

For the bubble algae, emerald crabs make real quick work of it. When I had an issue with it in an old tank, I just borrowed one from a friend for a month, it took care of all of it, then I returned the crab. Never had a problem with bubble algae after that.

Is that the only rock that has the bubble algae and the red thingy?... if so, I would just pull that piece out and give it a good scrub.. It's better safe than sorry.. IMO

Look up red turf algae and you should receive a lot of hits. You can also search the macro section at RC :)

mike3epanda said:
Is that the only rock that has the bubble algae and the red thingy?... if so, I would just pull that piece out and give it a good scrub.. It's better safe than sorry.. IMO

I would not recommend scrubbing the rock with the bubble algae. Breaking the bubbles and scraping it is going to spread it all over your rock and make the problem 10x worse. With SOME you can literally pick them off if you are VERY careful, but is the bubbles burst, it spreads like crazy. The emerald crabs are nice because they carefully eat the entire bubble, keeping it from spreading anywhere.

I meant a good cleaning.. I know even beneficial bacterias are gonna die but that piece of rock just looks bad.... I don't know the best method of cleaning it but I've seen people bleach LR and wash it down with dechlorinator..

I think it looks fine. Just leave it alone. Personally I like bubble algae when there's only a couple bubbles because it looks cool, but if there is a lot of it then emerald crabs will make short work of it. Emeralds are pretty safe with fish and other organisms. You might have a problem with a large adult one but if they are well fed they really won't go after fish or anything else.

That red macro looks really cool and I like those green zoos.

One trick I've found with the bubble algae is to let the bubble get big, then gently with your fingertip, try to "roll" it off the rock. No pinching... just a kind of gentle rolling motion. If you can get it off the rock intact, and into the water column, then you can net it out. But as others said, don't burst it. I burst a couple before I realized what I was doing, and while I don't have a major issue yet, it's not an isolated problem anymore!

mike3epanda said:
I meant a good cleaning.. I know even beneficial bacterias are gonna die but that piece of rock just looks bad.... I don't know the best method of cleaning it but I've seen people bleach LR and wash it down with dechlorinator..

Getting an emerald crab is a lot easier than taking the rock out, scrubbing it, bleaching it, soaking it in dechlorinator, then waiting for it to return to a healthy piece of rock.

I don't think the whole rock looks bad. Besides, it may be beneficial to the tank serving as a macroalgae.

I think it looks nice but that's just me I would love to have some red turf for my plant tank they never have any good algae at my lfs

Back
Top Bottom