what is this worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a common Bristleworm, I'd pitch it. Not necessarily bad, but they can overpopulate and usually if you have one medium sized one, you've got 10 that you can't see.... Seahorses huh? Been thinking of one in my refuge!

They eat fish poop and left over food. They arnt bad to have around but population can get out of control if not properly monitored.

Yeah, I agree but there is way too much flow in my DT. Only other option for me would be a species specific setup.....good idea!

I did start a new tank, It really is so awsome. not real big. They do so much better in a not so big tank because of feeding them. I hatch brine shrimp for them on a weekly basis. I also have 2 clown gobies...and a small CUC

From what I understand, they need a lot more nutrition than brine shrimp can provide. you might try to get them eating mysis. That said, an abundance of worms means overfeeding. Their populations will rise and fall with the food availability. They won't hurt anything in your tank.

Definitely try to limit the brine shrimp. Once they're a day or two old they;re nothing but fiber. Would you care to share your seahorse setup?
Flreefer, seahorses in the fuge is probably not a great idea. They really need a dedicated tank with low flow and a lower temperature.

Ohh well, sounded like a good idea, just have to tell the wife, we'll need a whole new setup for her seahorses! Cool! :)

I know. I wanted to do the same thing until I read up on it. But horses need low flow and lower temperatures, nothing that can sting them, and nothing that will outcompete them for food. I'll have seahorses eventually, but not anytime soon.

That looks like a fire bristle worm and will kill every thing in your tank. It could be a normal bristle worm which is not as bad but it will kill anything it touches. They come from the live rocks that you buy for salt water tanks. I found one in my tank and was told that it was okay because it was not a fire worm which is a lot of crap. It killed all my starfish and they love dottyback fish. They grow huge, mine grew over a foot long before I got rid of it. You need to take the rock out that you found it in because they reproduce fast and you might of only got part of it.

It can be difficult to identify worm species from one picture, but that looks like a common bristle worm to me. I have dozens of them, some are up to 4 inches long and never bother anything. It is possible that it's a dangerous species, but I doubt it.
Unless you actually see it acting threatening, I'd ignore it. Panic helps no one.
Bristle worms do not kill everything they touch. There is a lot of misinformation about them. When they get very large they can become predacious, but they're fairly harmless most of the time. Just don't touch them because the bristles can hurt.

That looks like a fire bristle worm and will kill every thing in your tank. It could be a normal bristle worm which is not as bad but it will kill anything it touches. They come from the live rocks that you buy for salt water tanks. I found one in my tank and was told that it was okay because it was not a fire worm which is a lot of crap. It killed all my starfish and they love dottyback fish. They grow huge, mine grew over a foot long before I got rid of it. You need to take the rock out that you found it in because they reproduce fast and you might of only got part of it.
This is not true. A fireworm (you don't have one btw) will not kill whatever it touches and they cannot catch healthy fish. Common bristle worms don't grow to a foot long.

The only reason you think it killed your livestock is because it died and then the worm scavenged it, that's what they're really good for.

Back
Top Bottom