What kind of anenome is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jems

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-917560167.jpg

I was told by my LFS that this is not aptasia. But he called it something else and I can't remember. Is it bad?

It's aipatasia or a "glass anemone". Same thing, still a bad thing to have in your tank. best bet is to get rid of it before it spreads.

If you can get the rock out i would say burn the bugger. But you gotta be careful he doesn't just retract back into a hole. If that's not practical they make prepared mixtures like joes juice or Aipastia X which is what I use. But if you have some Kalkwasser around you can mix that to a yougurt like paste and inject them right in the mouth with that. Just turn off your flow if you inject anything into them, give the stuff time to work.

Most people would say just get some peppermint shrimp cause they are supposed to eat them, but I've had zero luck with them eating them for me.

best to nip this guy in the bud before he gets outta control, odds are there are more in your tank you havne't found yet. :-(

It's a new piece of LR and I've found 4 on it. That was just the biggest. I can easily remove rock for treatment. Burn them? Like a metal rod that's been heated?

If you have those long lighter sticks that people use to light candles and bbq grills that would be perfect. You can put it on high and just torch him and his friends and get into the crevices then that they are bound to try to retract into. :)

I've had good luck using the kalkwasser paste with a small syringe (no needle). They will retract one hit, but keep pushing in until the hole they're in looks full of the stuff. Last weekend I went on an Aiptasia murder spree. I think I missed two which I got the next day. It seemed a lot harder to do than it was once I finally started.

FWIW I've tried peppermints too, and they ate the smallest ones, but left the big ones.

I have a couple apistasia I'm dealing with now, I injected one with lemon juice with a needle and syringe and it closed up and disappeared for about 2 weeks but just popped back out. I'm going to hit him again, and see what happens because he certainly doesnt like it, and I like the idea of just using lemon juice

Back
Top Bottom