what kind of anenome is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabbydab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my boyfriend bought this little guy a while ago. He sits on the shell of a deceased giant hermit crab. We don't know what kind of anenome he is. The pictures are real hard to see but hopefully they may help. His foot is the size of a quarter and his head the size of a dime. His foot is purplish in color with a pink edging at the very tip and has a white spotted ring that goes around the base of the foot. His tentacles are purple and a mauvish pink striped and the outer ring of his mouth is a florescent orange. He really is a neat little guy and is a real hearty eater. He eats a good size krill really quickly and has real quick reflexes when it comes to him closing up! Sometimes it's hard to feed the little sucker!
My boyfriend and i would love to know what kind of anenome he is. Since we've seen none like him since!
Thanks!
Carrie :D

I merged the two topics. I can't tell from the pic that it is even an anemone, much less what type. If your camera has a macro function, please try again using the macro function. If not, you'll have to back up to close to 30" from the object of the photo.

mysteryanenome

sorry about the pics. the camera is new to me too. These are better.

Looks to me, from the pic, to be a small flower anemone, Epicystis crucifier. Very hardy anemones although they pack a potent sting and are not a host anemone.

If you touch it, does it flatten out just like the shell or rock it is attached to? I had the same anenomes on a hermit I bought 4 months ago. the crab took them where ever he went. from shell to shell. They were cool looking.. I don't think they are flower anenomes though...I have seen even small FA and they did not look like these. I have yet to find out the correct genus of this...The closest I have found to the ones on the crab are atlantic stinging anenomes. howwever, ASA do not flatten out, but look very similar in the way the tentacles and body looks.

If you touch it, does it give off long orange or pink stringy things?

mystery anenome

Yes, it does sometimes give off small orange strings after it eats and stuff. But it doesn't flatten out all the way when it closes up. Interesting little bugger.... I'll have to look up flower anenomes and stinging anenomes though.....

Back
Top Bottom