What kind of coral is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The anemone that was commonly imported from the caribbean and called a "Rock Anemone" is easy to identify under blue light. It changes colors like the old Black Light posters of the 60s. If this "thing" isn't glowing under black/blue light, it's probably not a caribbean rock anemone. Most anemones imported from the Pacific were not called "rock anemones" on any availabillity sheets I can recall.
Hope this helps

The anemone that was commonly imported from the caribbean and called a "Rock Anemone" is easy to identify under blue light. It changes colors like the old Black Light posters of the 60s. If this "thing" isn't glowing under black/blue light, it's probably not a caribbean rock anemone. Most anemones imported from the Pacific were not called "rock anemones" on any availabillity sheets I can recall.
Hope this helps

Yea not one of those then.

Would a paly retract? I don't raise them, but usually aiptasia is fast and can even evade being grabbed. I would assume any soft coral is much slower to react.

Yep. it would be slower. I agree that an anemone would have a better survival response.

When I touched it with a coral feeder it didn't even close up fully. I had to bump it several times for it to close up completely. That to me doesn't seem the way any anemone would react.. Like the other day when I reached my hand into the tank to grab a fallen frag and brushed against my BTA. It disappeared in a second. And it's a pretty large anemone! So, night and day between the two for whatever that's worth.

Hope this helps

We may have established that yours is not one of these but here is an interesting article about the Rock Anemone I mentioned before.
Ugly Duckling Anemones in a New Light

They make me want to start up another SW tank again. :lol:

Wow. Awesome article! Thanks for sharing.

No Problem. Glad to share the experience.;)
I saw this "new exposure" for the first time back in the late 1970s, quite by accident. I was testing a black light I was using for my posters (yes, I'm that old :lol::D) in one of my tank light fixtures because I wanted to use a neon poster as a background. What a shock for sure. lol Gave me a whole new appreciation for this anemone. :D

Hope you finally figure out what you have (y)

No Problem. Glad to share the experience.;)
I saw this "new exposure" for the first time back in the late 1970s, quite by accident. I was testing a black light I was using for my posters (yes, I'm that old :lol::D) in one of my tank light fixtures because I wanted to use a neon poster as a background. What a shock for sure. lol Gave me a whole new appreciation for this anemone. :D

Hope you finally figure out what you have (y)

Lol. Thanks again... I'm gonna call them some type of paly for now. Or how about a paly-nem!
Even better! Lol

Back
Top Bottom