What kind of coral is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I finallygot a camera! Well I didn't get a camera but I got a new phone, the pics are a little blurry but they seem to be pretty good considering it's a phone.

What is this coral? It was one of the very first I bought about 15 months ago when I set up my tank. It was sold to me as a ruffle ridge coral. I can't find much info on it. What does it thrive in as to light and flow requirements? I have it in < moderate indirect flow right under the lights, 130 watt pc.

img_839401_0_67181e0e2e8a245b8ab0b1914dcb8fc6.jpg

img_839401_1_7559ea487426e1f6873cf6004b4fd140.jpg

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a bit hard to tell with that pic but I am thinking montipora

It hasn't had any noticeable growth since I bought it and a little bit of it has died, not much though. I was wondering what I should do to get it to grow better.

More flow? More light? Or just give it time and keep the Ca levels up?

Thanks for the quick replies.

It does look like a Turbinaria sp. scroll coral, though from your picture it looks reddish. Never seen a red Turbinaria.

I believe Turbinaria needs vary on the shape and stuff. Perhaps try moving it lower and see if that helps? I did not think they appreciated direct light.

HTH

I agree, Turbinaria sp. As with most other SPS, they needs lots of light and good flow. PC lighting may not be enough for you to get any good growth.

Ok well it's still doing ok at the very top so I will put it in the next tank I set up in the near future w/ T-5's. If I could set it in the middle I would but my bta is there so the best I can do is the either the left side or the right ad there was nothing on the right so I put it there.

Thanks for the info.

I agree with the assessment of T. reniformis. Although they can tolerate lower light levels for a period of time, they prefer indirect/direct intense illumination. What coloration are those polyps? What coloration are the outer ridges? Hard to tell by the picture, but it looks somewhat pale. It will also need enough flow to keep debris from settling and burning the flesh, which is common. As for placement, if a barrier of liverock can be placed that would give you an option as to centering, but not necessary as long as you have decent T5's.

The polyps are green and the outer rim of the ridges is yellow while the coral tissue is orange. I move it to a location closer to the center of the tank underneath the light and it is in a moderate-high flow area.

Off-topic- I don't really like the new look of the forum...

Back
Top Bottom