what kind of crab???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
My LFS has a small crab that is somewhat similar in size and shape of a Emerald Crab, but it is red. I would like some info on this crab before I buy it. Any tips or help would be great. Thanks.

It is hard to say without a picture. Sounds like a mitrax crab of some type. Just hard to say. If you remember what it looked like go to Liveaquaria and check out their crabs and see if its one of those.

I have one in my tank, it was listed as "red emerald crab". He mostly hides, but we see him every once in a while at night or feeding time. He seems to be doing fine, I just wish we saw him more often. He is really red, but other than that looks exactly like the one that Fluff posted.

Kimberly

The first one I saw (wished I got this one!) was coming up to the front of the tank in the store, waving his claws around at my 2.5 y/o. My 2.5 y/o was having a ball, laughing, and the crab stayed out in the open the entire time. The one we bought later on hides all the time and we have only seen it a few times. I am disappointed that he isn't as "outgoing" as the first one I saw! :)

But I think crabs can have different "personalities" and you have to be somewhat careful with all of them to be sure that they don't get at your fish. The same thing applies to a lot of inverts, I understand. We had a coral banded shrimp for exactly 24 hours...he attacked and killed one of our fish so we took him back to the lfs. Other people I have heard of have no problems with CBS. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Kimberly
husband has a 92 gal SW reef

I have 4 emerald crabs in my tank, they are hilarious to watch. Not to mention they eat whatever my fish leave behind. One crab "waves" every time we walk past the tank, although I think it's not a "friendly" wave.

Back
Top Bottom