What kind of fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike406

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help identify for me

image-1993014640.jpg

2 black dots on top fin and sleeps in sand and night

The first fish probably is Halichoeres chrysurus, but there are several very similar species out there. Even with a better photograph it might be difficult to tell which of these you have. The second fish is indeed a cardinalfish. It's Apogon semiornatus.

Tony

Yes tony u r correct. At that link it is exactly the same fish as my brother inlaws

mike406 said:
Please help identify for me

2 black dots on top fin and sleeps in sand and night

If it has the two black spots it's actually a two spot hogfish. They look very similar to the wrasse only difference is the dots

The number of spots in Halichoeres chrysurus and similar species (such as H. leuxocanthus) varies with size and sex. Juveniles and females have 2-3 spots on the dorsal fin, whereas males have a single spot at the front of the fin. By two spot hogfish, I gather you mean Bodianus bimaculatus. It has two spots, but they are not on the dorsal fin: one is on the gill cover and the other is on the base of the tail.

Tony

Not sure of scientific name tony too much to remember lol. Ive only ever heard of the wrasse having one spot. Learn something new everyday cheers

The first one is a yellow coris wrasse they have them at my lfs

Sorry about throwing scientific names around, but really it's the only meaningful way of referring to species. There are no standards in common names (though attempts have been made, for instance, for North American fishes and here in Oz for Australian species), and often suppliers will make up names on the spot. Some are also likely to cause confusion. Consider the common name "yellow coris", which usually refers to Halichoeres chyrurus .... so not a Coris at all (a rather different genus of wrasses with small scales). Banana wrasse is another case for possible confusion, as although sometimes it is used for H. chrysurus, it is the name usually given to the much larger (and somewhat nastier)Thalassoma lutescens. I admit that some of the scientific names are a mouthful, but it's the best we have at the moment.

So, you say jack and we say trevally ... let's call the whole thing a carangid.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom