what kind of shrimp is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sry but what exactly are we looking at in the picture

Well this is embarrassing. It won't upload the correct picture but there is a closeup of a shrimp. I believe it is a rock shrimp but I was not one hundred percent sure. Brilliantly colored underside and a rather dull rock looking topside. I'll keep trying to get the pic up.

add it to one of your albums and it will show an image link at the bottom that you can just past the link into the message board

to me it looks like a mantis - do you have anything else in the tank?

to me it looks like a mantis - do you have anything else in the tank?

I do, and I've cross referenced pics of mantis shrimp with mine. This one doesn't have any hammers and is currently buried itself in the sand rather than hiding in a crevice.

I'm no shrimp expert, but I think you correct in thinking that it's a rock shrimp (Sicyonidae). Sicyonia brevirostris looks like a good bet.

Tony

I'm no shrimp expert, but I think you correct in thinking that it's a rock shrimp (Sicyonidae). Sicyonia brevirostris looks like a good bet.

Tony

Sweet, now my next question is will it be ok in my tank with the other fish and shrimp? I have one purple firefish two perculas a blood shrimp and a skunk. Along with a pistol shrimp and goby. Its a 20 gallon tall.

Sorry, can't help you on that. However, this site gives a fair bit of information on the biology of S. brevirostris: Report Template. It seems like it's pretty predatory, and I think it would be best to play it safe and not keep it with the others.

Tony

Sorry, can't help you on that. However, this site gives a fair bit of information on the biology of S. brevirostris: Report Template. It seems like it's pretty predatory, and I think it would be best to play it safe and not keep it with the others.

Tony

Thank you very much. I'm glad I found this out before nightfall. Seems they hunt at night.

I would say a mantis is the eyes oval?oval eyes on a mantis would be a spearer they make a hole in the sand then spear a fish that swims over it. Pretty cool but probably not best for your display tank. Separate tank would be cool.

I would say a mantis is the eyes oval?oval eyes on a mantis would be a spearer they make a hole in the sand then spear a fish that swims over it. Pretty cool but probably not best for your display tank. Separate tank would be cool.

I don't know if it is a member of the mantis family or not and yes the eyes were oval. I don't have a QT tank or anything so back to work he went. Although after the information provided earlier, I strongly believe he is a rock shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom