Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
what kind of worm?

These pics suck, I know, so hopefully the verbal description will help. I saw this laying out on the sandbed, something had munched its head 3/4th of the way off. The pics show the size a little, it has little stiff bristles on both sides and around the front of its head(?). The thing is, this was rather flat and wide and not round like an earthworm or snake. That was a normal soup spoon that it is laying in. It was less red and more tannish in color than the pic shows.

Any ideas what it is and any ideas as to what I have that tried to eat it?
Lawnmower blennie, two tangs, flame angel, lionfish, emerald crabs, scarlet reef hermit and one horseshoe crab that hasnt shown itself in a few days.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Looks like the inside of a fish, not to scare you, but I have never seen that type of anything before.

If you don't love what you do, you'd better find something else to love. Otherwise, you don't have a reason for living.
-Ray B.
d9hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
The description sounds like a large bristle worm. The pic doesn't help. My guess is the horsehoe crab took a bite and didn't like it.
Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
That's what I was thinking...big bristle worm. Just a guess though.
Logan J
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
When I removed all of my rock to get rid of the damsel fish that I had, I remember seeing these type of things on the rocks...they are bristle worms that I had..I had some that were dark red and some that were a pink color...I just left them on the rocks and put them back in and I haven't seen them since... there so many different kinds of worms that may inhabit the tank however, I am going to stay with the vote, bristle worm....

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com