what kind of worm is this :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ace_te

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody, I just noticed these worms in my tank. They came out when I dropped pellets into my tank. I saw these before but never noticed them so big. Today the came out like crazy. Any advice? Thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110715_165151.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110715_165151.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 337
They are bristle worms. I say get rid of them ASAP I don't like them at all.

Some people say keep them as part of your clean up crew but ive seen some take down fish

looks like a bristle worm and a big one at that.looks like your over feeding your tank.they are good clean up crew,but keep your fingers away from them.

I only feed my fish once a day. One pints flakes and 10 min later a cube of frozen food. Is that too much? My tank is 30 gallon

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110715_170758.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110715_170758.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 294
They are bristle worms. I say leave them in there. They will help to clean the tank of excess food and fish waste.

with the small amount of fish in there I would only feed them half a cube.
I have 4 clowns,2 tangs,1 wrasse and i give them 1 cube a day.

They are bristle worms. I say get rid of them ASAP I don't like them at all.

Some people say keep them as part of your clean up crew but ive seen some take down fish
bristle worms cannot catch fish. if your fish was eaten by a bristle worm, it was already dying or dead.

Last edited:
I agree I don't think they can catch a fish. I am just wondering how big they get.

I seen one in my tank streched out about 20cm that's the biggest I have ever seen not sure of they get bigger I think they split off of a bigger one to make smaller ones kind of like how you cut an earthworm in half the to parts crawl apart from each other. I would poke it with something so it coils up then net it out if you do decide to remove it

If it is a fire worm which looks almost exactly like bristle worms then I say kill it, they are dangerous, but most bristle worms are beneficial and don't harm anything. Might want to check out this video on youtube, talks about the difference between them so you can identify. Link- ‪Good Worms vs Bad Worms‬‏ - YouTube

the thickness has nothing to do with the type of worm. i have seen common bristle worms that were the size of night crawlers. google fire worm images. you'll see the difference in color and look. they seem to be a lot more brilliant and attractive looking. better design, very fuzzy bristles...you can see the difference. they do not look exactly like each other, as seen in the video. distinct differences.

cool thanks for the video I think mine is the good worm :)

Back
Top Bottom