What kinds of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are colder water snails I'm told. I read they don't live very long in the higher temps...but I'm not 100% sure about that.

They are colder water snails I'm told. I read they don't live very long in the higher temps...but I'm not 100% sure about that.
seem to be thriving in My tank,foraging away.
mind you my tank is a little cooler!

Most of these little critters still kicking it!! Some of there black shells now have a white algae growing on it;)
There great foragers, and can right side themselves when they fall on the sandbed.

picked a few up from the local Chinese supermarket!

I have a few. Mr. X is right they are a type of margarite snail. Black margarites. Cool water but mine seem to thrive in reef temp. It took them a couple days to move when i added them. Supposed to devour film algae.

LiveAquaria- "For best care, they should be kept at cooler water temperatures with other peaceful tankmates. However, most MargaritaSnailscan adjust to an aquarium with a water temperature as high as 78 degrees Fahrenheit."

This is what mine look like-
http://uniquecorals.com/more/margarites-sp-black-margarita-snail-group-of-5.html

Thanks Paul...they sure are a good clean up crew!
mine looked like yours When I first bought them, now some have that white algae all over there shell?? Not 100% sure what it is, or what caused the quick
Color change

Probably coraline that turned white. I have some of those snails in my fuge and they will come out of the water, which will turn the coraline white too.

Agreed, I have some in my Fuge as well and find they like to climb out for a dry soak. Thanks P

Why on earth would you have snails in the refugium? Don't you think that's counter productive? I mean, you are trying to grow algae in there, correct?

Yes, yes I am. Clerpa in fact!
So the 2 snails I have in there should come out I guess? I have had a hard time keeping the macroalgae growing
Thanks X

Why on earth would you have snails in the refugium? Don't you think that's counter productive? I mean, you are trying to grow algae in there, correct?

You're right Mr. X. I have 1 snail in each camber of my sump except my fuge to help keep pumps and glass clean though. (sometimes i call my sump my fuge not sure why) Im just growing chaetomorpha and pods in mine. There are a couple rougue hermits that was banished to my fuge though. They help tiddy up but dont bother my chaeto.

Back
Top Bottom