what sort of anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThAtGuY11

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought my 1st anemone for my SW tank 2day and i don't know what sort it is. lfs guy said it should be fine but i like 2 double check.

i have good lighting for it but do i need 2 feed it or give it extra care? also, its been in for a few hours now and the clowns wont host it, how long does it usually take?

Attachments

• anemone1_211.jpg
    anemone1_211.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 34
  • anemone2_236.jpg
    anemone2_236.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 40
  • anemone3_270.jpg
    anemone3_270.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35
One other thing, if two clowns host that, due to it's small size (the pic makes it look small), it may stress it out. That's of the clowns even decide to host it, there is no guarantee...

When stressed Sebaes will have bubbles similar to BTA's. I do not see any verrucae on the anemone so I would lean towards an unhealthy, bleached bta.

I was reading your other thread in the other section and I believe the person at the lfs that sold you this doesn't know much past the basics of saltwater and I would be surprised if they knew anything about anemones. Sorry to say but it just looks like he was trying to sell you something.

BTW You need to find out what type of lighting you have and you need you know what it is your buying.

I highly doubt it's a sebae...foot is wrong. I'm leaning towards bleached bta. Could even be a condy...really hard to tell.

I was wondering about a condy as well, I do not think it is a BTA due to the faded purple tips.

thanks for all the help. ill be more cautious next time i buy from there(if i do). i understand that the anemone needs good lighting and i have that but last night he decided he didn't like where i placed him and now hes moved to the lower part of the tank under a ledge getting minimal lighting... will he be alright or maybe move again? i dunno what 2 do. pls reply

thanks
ThAtGuY

We still do not know what "good lighting" is on your tank. Please indicate the type (VHO, T5, CF) and wattage of your lighting. Anemones will seek out a place where they are happy...moving them will only serve to stress the animal even more.

lando said:
We still do not know what "good lighting" is on your tank. Please indicate the type (VHO, T5, CF) and wattage of your lighting.

-> FSL 220V 50Hz <- 2 of them are white, 2 of them are blue, their about 6 inches long each and about 1cm in diameter. hope this helped. its all i can find out at this current time

ThAtGuY11 said:
lando said:
We still do not know what "good lighting" is on your tank. Please indicate the type (VHO, T5, CF) and wattage of your lighting.

-> FSL 220V 50Hz <- 2 of them are white, 2 of them are blue, their about 6 inches long each and about 1cm in diameter. hope this helped. its all i can find out at this current time

Let's go this route...

What fixture do you have that the bulbs plug in to? Brand? Somewhere there should be a nameplate on it that gives specifics...

The anemone is definitely not a sebae because of the lack of verrucae on the column.

The short tentacles along with the number of tentacles point me away from a Condy.

Btw the color of the tips on the anemone pictured is the exact same color of my green bta.

For Bta's there are green, red/rose, orange, blue, and purple. That's all I've seen so far. O and my newest bta has white tips that are true color, not from bleaching.

The base/foot is actually identical to a bta and the edge of the oral disc were the verrucae are usually visible is identical to my bta (the white line wraping around the top of the column just before the tenticles).

I would bet money on it being a BTA.

How much did you pay for it? Maybe price will help sort it out. Condy's are much cheaper than a bta.

Back
Top Bottom