What the heck is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
I work at an aquarium store and in one of our nano display tanks this little guy showed up. He literally looks like a slug with bowser spikes on his back. He is very small, probably .5 cm and eats on the glass exactly like a snail. Sorry for the crappy pics but my iPhone can't focus on things so small. My best guess is a nudibranch/ sea hare? But I always thought they were fairly difficult to keep in aquariums, let alone hitch hiking eggs or microscopic babies randomly showing up. http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...0-DF8C-44D9-9593-0A54B9220B08_zps1nq42mvy.jpg
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...F-48D8-45EC-ADF5-CEBA9695735E_zpsmev9u9yo.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't compare it to an anemone... It's a crawling actively eating animal. Like a snail. But it doesn't look like it has a shell. Just a bunch of spikes.

I wouldn't compare it to an anemone... It's a crawling actively eating animal. Like a snail. But it doesn't look like it has a shell. Just a bunch of spikes.

Are they hard or are they like a tentacle

Ohhh, better get rid of it then! Don't want that around. Wonder where it came from?

There are some Kenya trees, mushrooms, a plate coral, and I believe a zoa in the tank.

Did the pictures not come up for you? He's a brownish yellow.

There are some Kenya trees, mushrooms, a plate coral, and I believe a zoa in the tank.

Did the pictures not come up for you? He's a brownish yellow.

not very clear, but does this little guy look kind of like zoas? nudi's look like what they eat so it could be a zoa eating nudi

In post #5 you can't see the pic I posted?
I suppose he could look like the tentacles of a brown zoa. It'd be a stretch though.

In post #5 you can't see the pic I posted?
I suppose he could look like the tentacles of a brown zoa. It'd be a stretch though.

he would look like closed zoas kind of. so if he were in a mat of them you wouldnt be able to see him, or not well.

Thanks. I'll remove him next time I see him.

You should dip your zoas in a coral dip, like coralRx. If there is one nudibranch, there is another or at least eggs. Better safe than sorry.

+1 to all of the above. A nudi, good chance it's a zoa-eater, so remove it and definitely dip corals to kill the presumable eggs.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's a nudibranch, maybe Berghia?

It looks like a zoa eater to me.
jon-rubino2.jpg

I agree with X on zoa eater , pull that zoa out and do a dip to kill them and any eggs they may have laid , you may need to manually remove them with tweezers

After looking at pict again I see 2 more that you didn't point out

Thanks guys. This was almost a year ago though and those guys are looooong gone!

Back
Top Bottom