What the heck is this thing living in my rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Difficult to tell, but looks like the eyes of a pray mantis shrimp that I have been trying to catch in my tank.

Well, would you look at that. An actual mantis shrimp hitchhiker? Looks like you have some aiptasia on the rock as well.
Since I'd assume that this guy's life isn't what you intended for your system I'll assume you want it out. You can get a tall glass and put some food in it to try to lure it out or you can take the rock out and simply submerge it in freshwater. The freshwater dip will make sure anything living inside the rock makes its way out. Not the most humane way, but it will solve having an unwanted predator in your tank.

EDIT: You could take the rock out and hit it with a hammer to get it out too. Could keep it in a sump or try to trade it into your LFS for credit.

Definitely a hitchhiker. Certainly didn't intend to buy him. So far I don't think he's hurt anyone but will try catching him in a glass or bottle... Need to go aiptasia hunting again. They tend to reappear.

If it is what it is, try to get it out asap before things start 'going missing'. A tall glass with some food in it leaning up against the rock might be enough to lure it out. Just make sure it has enough lean so that it can't take the food and run.

Tried to capture him then gave up and tried to kill him. Haven't seen him in awhile so I think he met his demise. Poor guy.

I tried to humanely capture him using a glass and then putting the rock I thought he was in into a bucket of fresh but none of that worked so I resorted to stabbing a kabob skewer into the holes I saw him in. I didn't think I got him but the clicking stopped and I haven't seen him in 4 nights so I think I at least maimed him.

Still heard clicking after the plunge. I'm guessing he wasn't in that rock anymore. That or I didn't leave it in there long enough. I was hesitant to wait too long because I discovered a sea urchin living in that rock recently.

Back
Top Bottom