what the heck is this worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mine.Mine.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, while recovering from a crisis where my tank overheated I noticed this red guy. Haven't ever seen him in daylight before and am guessing he was leaving his hole due to warm water? I am in the process of cooling the tank down, and he has gone back to hiding ... any thought? He was a reddish pink with a long body (never fully came out of his hole) with little white fingerlike things on the outter ring of his body

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120410_102902.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120410_102902.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 94
Here are a few more pictures

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120410_104215.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120410_104215.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20120410_104224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120410_104224.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 76
thanks, it is in fact a fireworm.should I make a trap and try and remove it?

ok good deal, it was a heck of a morning trying to get my temp down with the water and it wasn't going to make me any happier knowing i had something i needed to catch also!

When I first seen one in mine I thought everything was doomed. They look so weird.you will have a lot of little tiny ones but if you have any crabs they will eat some :) I had an emerald crab that ate them all after he'd killed 4 shrimp and a fish

Fireworms are bristle worms...there are many kinds of bristleworms which the ones with hollow bristles filled with toxins are generalized as fireworms which if that's what it is you will want to remove it..they can reach very large sizes (over a foot long and a inch wide) and inflict a painful sting

Back
Top Bottom