What type anenome are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottshipm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got this crab and it had several of these anenome's attached. Everything seems to be OK but I wanted to make sure these were nuisance anenomes.

Can anyone identify them?

From the looks of them, my best guess would be they are non-photosynthetic mushrooms, pseudocoryactinis (or something like that) spp.

He's looking at the camera like "put down the camera and help get these monkey off my back" :lol: :lol:

It's a Calliactis sp of anemone. They are common hitchikers on crabs and hermit shells. There are many species so unless you can get a clear top down pic, it will be hard to determine.

Cheers
Steve

From what I can tell fron researching, it appears they are a species known as Calliactic Parasitica (thanks for the tip Steve), or some close relative. If this is true, they apparently can release neurotoxins. Should I consider this harmful for fish or corals like xenia or water quality in general?

Not much to worry about with these guys than with any other anemone. Although much smaller they still have nematocysts but being attached to the hermit shell, they will most likely not cause any coral damage. The hermit they are riding on will though. Judging by the size and color it is a common hermit and not considered reef safe. They will catch and eat whatever they can. Sessile and mobile inverts alike.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom