What type of starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No they can"t Asterina stars have 5 legs and are more white with a gray or orangish tint , the small serpent stars have 7 legs and have a yellowish tint when very small when they start to develop the legs will become more defined , yes they look almost identical and almost impossible to tell them apart when very small

No they can"t Asterina stars have 5 legs and are more white with a gray or orangish tint , the small serpent stars have 7 legs and have a yellowish tint when very small when they start to develop the legs will become more defined , yes they look almost identical and almost impossible to tell them apart when very small

http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/45-reefkeeping-101-
That article is pretty good and states there are a lot of species of asterina stars, but only 5% are coral eaters. Serpent stars and asterina look nothing alike even when small.

60 years ago they didn't know anything about keeping salt water creatures.
It doesn't matter how many legs they have, and I'm not sure I am in agreement with the article either. I have witnessed a massive population of asterina stars (all shapes, sizes, numbers of legs, and colors) that ate nothing but algae for years, turn into coral eaters overnight all at once. This contradicts the article, and the number of legs theory.

60 years ago they didn't know anything about keeping salt water creatures.
It doesn't matter how many legs they have, and I'm not sure I am in agreement with the article either. I have witnessed a massive population of asterina stars (all shapes, sizes, numbers of legs, and colors) that ate nothing but algae for years, turn into coral eaters overnight all at once. This contradicts the article, and the number of legs theory.

Hmm interesting maybe they ran out of viable food options and turned to the coral? Odd little starfish.

The star u have is the sign of a healthy tank. No need to worry unless they get out of control. They have been know to smother a coral cause they multiply so fast. They won't eat them though. If u start seeing them to often just pick them off the glass and discard them.

The star u have is the sign of a healthy tank. No need to worry unless they get out of control. They have been know to smother a coral cause they multiply so fast. They won't eat them though. If u start seeing them to often just pick them off the glass and discard them.
This statement is completely incorrect.

Or like you said about the tangs, most are ok but sometimes they turn. I guess that's life! A lot like us humans.

I would keep them but if you see them sucking on your softies down the road, removal is pretty easy.
Asterina starfish are hitch hikers that come in on your live rock. They are no indicator that you have a healthy tank, for they live on nearly dry rocks in containers for days, and in some cases weeks. I have never seen any articles where asterina starfish smothered corals, nor have I witnessed it (I think he got them mixed up with flatworms), but again, I have seen them eat coral. It's not very common, but it's a definite possibility.
They weren't just on them smothering them either, because as I removed them off of a massive colony of healthy palys that were completely open days before and now were all closed up, there were bite marks underneath each star. Not rotting flesh in patches, but distinct bite marks.

I will keep a close eye on them. Can I just say the thing I love about this hobby is you never know what's going to happen next! I'm only in week 5 with just live rock and I'm hooked on it. Always wanted saltwater and so far no regrets. Also love this forum , without it I would be lost. Expect many more threads from me! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom