What type of starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi can anyone tell me what type of starfish this is? Good or bad?

Attachments

• image-2817491614.jpg
    image-2817491614.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 113
Hi there
It is a Asterina starfish they eat zoanthids their main predator is Harlequin shrimp they are quite common and I wouldn't worry about them too much just keep an eye on them

They don't always eat zoanthids. it's just one of those things that happens on occasion. The same goes for tangs eating corals. Most of them don't, but once in a while, they do. They are mostly harmless and eat mostly algae. The do reproduce very quickly. I think they are a good addition to the tank.

Cool, thanks for the response. Just gone and got some hermits from lfs. (My first livestock purchase) excited :)

Make sure whatever you buy has food to sustain it. crabs, shrimp, snails, etc, with need to have ample food. In a new tank this can be a challenge, and may need to be supplemented.

Would they feed on hair algae etc... Lfs said there should be plenty to eat in my tank. I have some flakes should I put a pinch in tank every few days?

I have never had any issues with them either. They do a good job cleaning the glass walls that I don't clean. I`ve had them in my tank for over 15+ yrs.

If that's your tank in the avatar, it doesn't look like you have very much of anything in it yet.
Do not trust the LFS. I hear a lot more bad advice than good coming from them.
How many crabs and what size are they?

That one you have on your glass is actually pretty big for an asternia. They don't get much bigger. That one you showed is getting ready to lose that leg that will end up being another one.

Most of rock is green and there are also hair algae and red diatoms

Attachments

• image-1048811036.jpg
    image-1048811036.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1876266532.jpg
    image-1876266532.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-4068370546.jpg
    image-4068370546.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 68
That one you have on your glass is actually pretty big for an asternia. They don't get much bigger. That one you showed is getting ready to lose that leg that will end up being another one.
so they multiply ?

the 5 leg stars are the ones that turn in to zoa eaters

the 7 leg stars turn into small serpent stars and are good part of the CUC and are harmless

another thing to keep in mind the 5 leg stars multiply very fast if you see 6 today tomorrow they'll be 20 they are a pain in the neck if you don't catch them early
I lost a whole tank of coral because of these things

I've never heard of the 5 or 7 legged aspect before. i have plenty of both,probably more of the 5 legged ones than the 7 and Ihave yet to see them eat a coral or lose a coral.

the 5 legs will turn on softies over time , I learned that the hard way after losing my whole tank not to long ago
the 7 leg will become those small 3 inch serpent stars
I never knew there was any difference either till I talked with a very wise old man who has kept tanks over 60 years
I listened to him and if I see any 5 leg stars I siphon them out and just leave the 7 leg ones
haven't had issues with my softies since
I also remove the 7 leg stars if I notice I have to many ,the local pet shop I deal with gives me 50cents each for the small ones and up to $2. each for the bigger ones it's only store credit but I buy tons of stuff anyway and every little bit helps

the 5 legs will turn on softies over time , I learned that the hard way after losing my whole tank not to long ago
the 7 leg will become those small 3 inch serpent stars
I never knew there was any difference either till I talked with a very wise old man who has kept tanks over 60 years
I listened to him and if I see any 5 leg stars I siphon them out and just leave the 7 leg ones
haven't had issues with my softies since
I also remove the 7 leg stars if I notice I have to many ,the local pet shop I deal with gives me 50cents each for the small ones and up to $2. each for the bigger ones it's only store credit but I buy tons of stuff anyway and every little bit helps

Asterina stars cannot turn into serpent stars, they are from two completely separate classes as well as different species. There are certain species of asterina stars that can be predatory on corals but almost all that end up in our tanks eat algae. I have plenty in my tank and don't have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom