What's growing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi can someone id this for us.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404760354.102108.jpg

And this pink stuff aswell thanks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404760561.226189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First is Neomeris sp. algae. A calcareous algae. And the secon is maybe red turf algae but not sure.

Thanks do u know best way to get rid of them.

think bribo hit the nail on the head with this (y)
here is a little more inf on it
Neomeris sp.
Marine Plants in the Aquarium
the only way of removal is manual removal there is no guarantee it wont come back over time as it roots deep within the rock

as for red turf Algae the removal of excess phosphates by doing more frequent water changes and it will die off rather fast
also try to cut back on overfeeding as it will only fuel it to spread

Thanks don't know if it's turf algae as it's bit soft and bit like a sponge.
It's been bit off a mission as been using crap test kit for phos buts got hanna in March and now got a reactor running for phos so I'm just cleaning up the tank.

Sorry can't really get better pic as only got my phone to use but here's some more in different spot.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404837106.742612.jpg

Also got this growing think it's turf algae but don't know how get ridImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404837179.866901.jpg

the green is green hair algae for sure

now the red is it more plant like leafy
or is it more on the slimy side
or is it hard

bigger water changes more often will help cut the phosphates fueling the green algae
it may help with the red also , but thats hard to tell till we can get a positive ID

Sure it's a hair agle was a lot longer and someone says it turf aglae and to throw or re cure the rock. The red stuff more like plant it's soft like sponge.

Well running phos reactor and got no3 down to 5ppm and no change really.

Mr x can't see the red stuff in the link but my guy at lfs says sees it all the time and not to worry about it plus it comes off easy. Thing is that I was using crap phos test kit so thought it was good but got lfs to test with hanna and was over .20 so now got one myself to keep better control off it. The past few months have been hell, I upgraded to led and got loads off brown crap taking over but after a battle it's all gone so moving to next thing.

Either way you have excess nutrients in your system. Reduce your feeding, and increase your wc's, and maybe cut an hour or 2 off your white lights time on.

Either way you have excess nutrients in your system. Reduce your feeding, and increase your wc's, and maybe cut an hour or 2 off your white lights time on.

Been doing all the above my reactor is only 2 months old as got it to stop the brown slime, my cheato don't seen to grow evening before got reactor so got better light and new ball to see if it helps on the nitrates. Think it's just going be a waiting game as was using bad phos test kit for over 6 months and when got it tested with different was .24. My tanks looking a lot better than 6 weeks ago just wanting to get rid of the green stuff.

Back
Top Bottom