what's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it's algae. Looks like something you would want in you tank, wished I had something in my tank like that. :D

Could be a type of coral, sponge or foram but it's not like something I have seen before. Does it have a hard surface or soft? It almost looks like it's encrusted with coralline which could mean that it is a variant of bulbous or other type of "macro" coralline.

Cheers
Steve

here's another picture of it and one of stuff growing on the other piece of rock i bought at the same time. the red one is definately soft to the touch, velvety, and you can almost see through it but not quite. the other one is ribbon-like and very stiff, it starts growing in the slots of the overflow and takes over.

I know nothing of sw so I really can't help much. I will say it is pretty and that to me it looks plant like. One of the pictures looks like lichens on a log outside, that's why I kind of think it could be a seaweed type of thing... but then again, I really haven't a clue... someone here is bound to have an idea though... don't get rid of it til we know what it is though...

does anyone know what the purple-green stuff is? it's starting to grow on a couple places and i'm not sure if it's a good thing or not.

lilismom1 said:
does anyone know what the purple-green stuff is? it's starting to grow on a couple places and i'm not sure if it's a good thing or not.
Sorry which pic are you refering to. The first one looks like a macro algae surrounded by encrusting sponges. The second I'm still not sure on...

Cheers
Steve

I don't know what it is either, but I'll second Milipede... it's very pretty. :)

Sorry which pic are you refering to. The first one looks like a macro algae surrounded by encrusting sponges. The second I'm still not sure on...
sorry, #3170003, it's starting to sprout up on powerheads, thermometer, and overflow should i leave it alone?

lilismom1 said:
sorry, #3170003, it's starting to sprout up on powerheads, thermometer, and overflow should i leave it alone?
It looks like a species of brown macro algae (Dictyota dichotoma) possibley. Most macro algaes in the main tank can easily become a nuisance. When possible either remove them or at the least keep them pruned regularly.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom