What's this coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's probably 5 inches when it's fully open. The owner said it was an acan, but it looks completely different.

Attachments

• image-3398909292.jpg
    image-3398909292.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 211
It's probably 5 inches when it's fully open. The owner said it was an acan, but it looks completely different.

Looks lil puffy to be a fungia but thats all i can think of does it ever flatten out?

It doesn't flatten, but rather closes into a ball. I think it needs less light/flow b/c it doesn't seem fully opened even now. Thanks for the reply. Does anyone else have an idea?

It doesn't flatten, but rather closes into a ball. I think it needs less light/flow b/c it doesn't seem fully opened even now. Thanks for the reply. Does anyone else have an idea?

Def not acan lol

I didn't think so. They fed it silversides a couple times a week. I've tried and the snails got to it before the food before the coral did. It is an unknown monster :lol:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there is a type of acan that is much like a plate coral as its a single large polyp but that may also be a scolymia perhaps?

That would be one huge mushroom! I don't think it is one, but thanks though.

@Mrc: It looks a little like a scolymia, not quite..wasn't priced like one :lol:. When fed the top portion bulges out. I think I'll have to classify it as some misc. LPS or some huge acan.

That would be one huge mushroom! I don't think it is one, but thanks though.

@Mrc: It looks a little like a scolymia, not quite..wasn't priced like one :lol:. When fed the top portion bulges out. I think I'll have to classify it as some misc. LPS or some huge acan.

Ive never seen an acan like that lol but im sure theres alot of coral i havn seen letme send the pic to my friend hell know

Yeah it is pretty strange that it would be classified as an acan. Thanks. Bringing in the experts now haha!

Or acantophillia maybe not spelled correct

Yep that's what I was talking about for the large polyp acan. I'd say its one of the two but if you could get a picture of it while its open and showing a feeding response that could help out some more.

Yeah it is pretty strange that it would be classified as an acan. Thanks. Bringing in the experts now haha!

Ya its the acanthophilia try puttin lil brine shrimp on it to entice it to open once open put a silverside on it probably be cool to watch eat

Yeah I've had it for a few weeks and it's eaten mysis before. The LFS guy said it was the last day it was staying in the shop b/c he was planning on putting it in his own home tank! Hoping to see it eat silversides eventually too.

Yeah I've had it for a few weeks and it's eaten mysis before. The LFS guy said it was the last day it was staying in the shop b/c he was planning on putting it in his own home tank! Hoping to see it eat silversides eventually too.

How much you pay if you dont mind?

Back
Top Bottom