Whats this on live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jillw28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently had a lot of death due to heater blowing up in tank. I am surprised to see this. I have a white/clear one on the other rock? Any ideas what they are? Ty in advance!

Attachments

• image-4209667786.jpg
    image-4209667786.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 381
  • image-872610535.jpg
    image-872610535.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 350
I don't think it's aptasia. It could just be some kind of polyp. But can't tell to much from the pictures

I dont think they are either. I killed all those. These are somewhat different. Especially the pink one. Hmmm

hiltymj said:
I don't think it's aptasia. It could just be some kind of polyp. But can't tell to much from the pictures

Here is a better pic.

Attachments

• image-53647676.jpg
    image-53647676.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 323
  • image-4156808471.jpg
    image-4156808471.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 312
Cool but what is it? I didn't have these before the heater blew up. Had the setup for 3 weeks. Got It already set up with all the stock and all. used. But cycled.

I think its an anemone, my local LFS had one growing on a peice of live rock they had and specifically stated it was one. Lucky to have that show up on live rock (or so I'm told)

Cloudxsoldier beat me to it...

Yes it does look like an anemone.
Haitian Condy anemone to be exact.
Google that and see if it matches urs.
Let us know what u find out.

Its hard to say since those pics are of such big, mature ones...it just freaks me out that things pop up in the tank that I have not put in there. That never happens in my fresh water...

jillw28 said:
Its hard to say since those pics are of such big, mature ones...it just freaks me out that things pop up in the tank that I have not put in there. That never happens in my fresh water...

That's the beauty of sw welcome to the salty side...

Not maybe a ball anemone? I have a few in my tank and they look quite similar

Yup-- condy, they look really nice wen they stretch out!

Attachments

• image-133340935.jpg
    image-133340935.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 215
I have never had any issues with my condy in the tank and the fish and hermit crabs are all the time going by it.

Yeah, welcome to the world of constant surprises. I have had my reef tank for two years and I'm still constantly on this site asking for ID's. ha ha Part of the charm! :)

Yep a Condy anemone.... I had one for about 3 months until I caught my blue Chromis being eating by it :-/
It ate two blue/green chromis and my algae blenny :-(
I took it back to the store.
Oh and clownfish hardly ever host it, and even when they do there's still a chane it will eat the clownfish .

From the pics I see the one with the pink base looks like a strawberry anemone. Some type if corynactis or pseudocorynactis. Look it up to be sure!

Back
Top Bottom