Where to put my Finger Leather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a picture of it:
p2221815.jpg

The LFS said it would do ok in my 2' tall with 4x65w over it. Right now it is less than 1/4 of the way up off the bottom of my tank on a ledge. It gets really good flow where it is (is that good?) but not the most light possible (is that ok or does it need to be higher)?

The polyps looked great for a week but today it didn't come out so I got worried about it!

TIA!

Leathers seem to withdraw from time to time. Cleaning themselves or whatever. I wouldn't worry yet. IMO, the placement is good for starters. I move mine closer to the top (when acquasacping looks better that way) and see how they react as I do, but nearer the bottom is always a good start IMO.

Since you had a good week, I'd wait a couple of days before you react.

These are pretty hardy corals and will do well just about anywhere. The polyp recession is normal, they will come and go. It will need to be in an area of moderate to high flow as the tend to shed their outer layer on occasion. The flow will help with this. Have fun with the leater, I enjoy mine...Lando

Ok it has been a couple of days now with no polyp extension so I was getting really worried. I should post a new picture of it. Parts of it are looking a little grayish and I was worrying that it was starting to "bleach". I can't remember what that looked like before. It also looks shorter than it was?!

Beautiful leather by the way!

Thanks, Ray!

It gets really good flow

I had one do that kinda thing too. I helped with my finger along witha blast of heavy, but short flow from a PH (a couple of seconds) to help it shed the funky looking, grey stuff. From there try a little less flow while it adjusts. Lighter side of medium is what worked for me.

Mine started off kinda like yours, then got ugly too. I moved it twice w/in a week and a half and it finally adjusted in the sand.

Hopefully you find something that works.

Post a new pic if you can. May just be shedding. You can try feeding a high protein food like krill or some coral plankton to see if it responds.

I tried feeding it some liquid life last night and everything else (even my night feeders) joined the party for some. It didn't even put out a single polyp. *pout*

Here is a Before & After image. The one on the top is what it looks like today. The one on the bottom is what it looked like on Tuesday (photo taken) and maybe even Wednesday. By Thursday I was thinking it wasn't really opening and by Friday it was starting to have this grayish color to it.

BeforeAndAfter.jpg

Whatcha think? Do I just need to help it slough?

Whoah. Hard not to worry, it looks like pooh! I'll keep my fingers crossed and try not to fuss with it too much! Thanks. What would it look like if it *wasn't* healthy?

It started shedding in sheets last night. I let it bask in the power head a little bit at a time and that seemed to help it slough a bit. I saw a couple (and I mean like 1 or 3) polyps out before bedtime last night so I'm hoping to find it in all its glory when I get home today! Thanks for the reassuring words!

That is exactly what happens after shedding. A few poylps will come out as it begins to rid itself. Be warned it is quite common and it will happen many, many times. I agree with Brad it looks healthy in both pics, and try not to worry :wink:

Don't mess with it. When I moved my toadstool, it sloughed for about 3 weeks. I came home one day to find it fully extended and HUGE - bigger than I'd ever seen it. It's been like that for about 3-4 weeks now.

Just make sure your leathers have decent flow to remove any detritus from it's surface because that's what it's trying to do anyway.

Finally! The polyps opened at feeding time tonight! I put a little liquid life on it tonight (as my hubby rolled his eyes :roll: ) and about 1/2 hour after feeding time there they were! There was a branch or two that still wasn't out, but the bulk of it was. Hopefully this is the beginning of better (looking) days for it!

Back
Top Bottom