Which type of Lionfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
At the LFS, was labelled as Volitan Lionfish... But research on the internet suggests he's (shes?) a Pterois russelli (Russel's Lionfish)??

Just curious.

Also, i have read conflicting reports on what they should and should NOT eat, as well as how to get them off of live food..

He arrived with what the LFS said was a weeks worth of Goldfish. The one constant i have discovered is that goldfish are a BAD thing (health wise) to feed this guy.

Also, how much, how often?

He currently lives in a 39g tank. His tankmates are:
1: 1 Brittle star
2: 10 small blue legged hermit crabs
3: 4 turbo snails.
4: 1 larger hermit crab

I have a clown and psuedochromis who would like to have their 39g tank back, but I am afraid the lion will eat them. Suggestions?

IMG_0202.sized.jpg

If I were working at the LFS, I would label it a Volitan, but I can't seem to find any pics of a Russels.

As for what they should eat...I trained my lion to eat silversides and krill. This can take some doing, I continue feeding feeders for a few days and then let him get hungry. When I feed him again, I feed sparingly and try to slip a silver side in. If he takes the silver side, next time I try 2 and so on. It can be a hit and miss thing and I have known people to spend over a year trying to train marine preadtors (HoopsGuru springs to mind) to eat frozen rather than live food.

As for the other fish, the lion will eat them if they are in the same tank, but if it is a Volitan, it will need a larger tank shortly. I fed my lion once to twice per week.

Back
Top Bottom