Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2004, 03:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
white algae?

ahh. thank you. the white looking stuff is on the back of the tank.i also have more on other things. the stuff on the glass feels kinda slimy and the stuff on the other items is kinda gritty feeling.but none that is hard to remove.i still havent found a pic of this.it seems to be spreading in other circular formations on the back of my tank. im gonna try and send a different pic but it might be to big.

Old 01-03-2004, 03:54 AM   #12
steve-s

If your concerned about the green algae, don't be. It's not the most desirable thing to have and is evidence of PO4 in the tank. Chances are, the circles are coralline algae which is a good thing. If so let it continue. If you are able to post additional pics, please do.

Are there any snails in the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-03-2004, 04:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

w.a.

yeah. i kinda like the green.i also have a little bit of purple and some grey looking stuff. the white stuff is really the only thing im worried about cause it looks like its eating away at my green algae and i dont really want that.unless its like something cool.is the purple good or the grey? ohh. and no i dont have any snails just a chocolate starfish crawling around.ill prolly put up some more pics later if i get paranoid.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #14
steve-s

I do not think you have anything to be concerned about. As I said, this type of green algae is not normally desirable but if that is your preference, no worries

I would suggest some snails at least. It will help keep detritus and unwanted algaes to a minimum. If you allow the "green" algaes discussed to be consumed, it will make way for the purple/pink coralline instead which is what I believe is trying to grow instead.

BTW, the CC star is not considered reef safe so I hope this is a FOWLR and not a reef tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-03-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah.this i guess this is a fish with live rock tank only because thats all i have.what is considered a reef tank anyway? different types of plants or fish or coral?anyway ill check out some snails here in a little bit. gotta go shoot some pool. thanx for yer help
Old 01-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredfish
what is considered a reef tank anyway? different types of plants or fish or coral?
You currently seem to have an FOWLR set up. If you where to add sessile inverts (corals mainly) it would then be considered a reef tank, lights permitting. The addition of mobile inverts does not make the tank a reef set up.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algae, picture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com