white algae? with picture this time LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiredfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
white algae?

yeah hello, i have some white looking algae in my tank can anyone identify this? it looks like its taking over my green algae in the back.

yeah hello, i have some white looking algae in my tank can anyone identify this? it looks like its taking over my green algae in the back.

Im sorry but I have to ask this. Is the algae your refering to growing on top of the rocks or on the glass? I honestly dont see anything thats white on the back glass. I do see some round areas where the green algae is not on the back but the color does not appear white.

The white on the top of the rocks could be coraline algae that is bleached out. Possibly due to an increase in light from what it was previously growing in.

White algae? Are you refering to macro algae or coralline?

Sounds like what you are refering to is the macro algae that's losing it's color or the coralline is bleaching.

Any chance of a pic?

Cheers
Steve

white algae?

yeah here is a pic of whats going on ive been having trouble navigating this site . the first time i tried to send out a pic i messed up so here it is.

Where in/on the tank is this?

This looks like green film algae from the glass wall of the tank? It appears something has either been nibbling it (no animal trail though?) or by the symetrical shapes, it's coralline trying to break through. Is the newer algae very hard or easily removed with your finger?

Cheers
Steve

I found your other post and have merged them together...

Cheers
Steve

white algae?

ahh. thank you. the white looking stuff is on the back of the tank.i also have more on other things. the stuff on the glass feels kinda slimy and the stuff on the other items is kinda gritty feeling.but none that is hard to remove.i still havent found a pic of this.it seems to be spreading in other circular formations on the back of my tank. im gonna try and send a different pic but it might be to big.

If your concerned about the green algae, don't be. It's not the most desirable thing to have and is evidence of PO4 in the tank. Chances are, the circles are coralline algae which is a good thing. If so let it continue. If you are able to post additional pics, please do.

Are there any snails in the tank?

Cheers
Steve

w.a.

yeah. i kinda like the green.i also have a little bit of purple and some grey looking stuff. the white stuff is really the only thing im worried about cause it looks like its eating away at my green algae and i dont really want that.unless its like something cool.is the purple good or the grey? ohh. and no i dont have any snails just a chocolate starfish crawling around.ill prolly put up some more pics later if i get paranoid.

I do not think you have anything to be concerned about. As I said, this type of green algae is not normally desirable but if that is your preference, no worries :wink:

I would suggest some snails at least. It will help keep detritus and unwanted algaes to a minimum. If you allow the "green" algaes discussed to be consumed, it will make way for the purple/pink coralline instead which is what I believe is trying to grow instead.

BTW, the CC star is not considered reef safe so I hope this is a FOWLR and not a reef tank.

Cheers
Steve

yeah.this i guess this is a fish with live rock tank only because thats all i have.what is considered a reef tank anyway? different types of plants or fish or coral?anyway ill check out some snails here in a little bit. gotta go shoot some pool. thanx for yer help

tiredfish said:
what is considered a reef tank anyway? different types of plants or fish or coral?
You currently seem to have an FOWLR set up. If you where to add sessile inverts (corals mainly) it would then be considered a reef tank, lights permitting. The addition of mobile inverts does not make the tank a reef set up.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom