White Cocoon-like "Thingys" Popped Up Over Night...ID HELP PLZZZZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralAnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live in the suburbs of Little Rock, Arkansas
Yesterday I noticed a couple of white cocoon- like things in two different spots in my tank. I have no clue what they are. Kinda reminds me of ALIEN!!! Nooooooo!!!!!! I poked them with my poker (lol), and they're very thin and soft. I didn't want to poke too much cuz I didnt want to kill whatever it is. This morning, I've noticed my clown fishie hanging around the one up front...almost using it as a host. This is too weird!!! I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help or advice on this. I'm just almost a year into this hobby, and it seems I get surprised at least once a month by something strange. Render me clueless.....

image-3805241496.jpg

image-3750946084.jpg

image-1366233817.jpg

It had to be introduced to your tank as a hitchhiker.

All it takes is a little piece of one and they will begin to grow. The most common is pineapple sponges which most people will deal with their first few months of setting up.

They are good filter feeders and are a sign of good water quality since they only grow in healthy tanks. Only time they can become harmful is if they start to overgrow any corals in which case you can just cut it off the rock.

Mrc8858 said:
They are good filter feeders and are a sign of good water quality since they only grow in healthy tanks. Only time they can become harmful is if they start to overgrow any corals in which case you can just cut it off the rock.

I don't have any corals right now....tried to keep them for a while but failed miserably. I'm gonna wait on getting corals until I know what I'm doing (lol). This is so cool!!! You're a GENIUS!!! Why is my Clownie using it as a host??? Weird!!!

Clowns will host anything and I mean ANYTHING.. they've been known to host heaters powerheads and a variety of corals.

Ours hosted the space between the heater and overflow in our old tank. Now in the new one, just a corner...

Back
Top Bottom