White Cotten Balls,,, ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iubigler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everybody, I have been 'surfing' all night trying to identify these 'animals' in my reef tank. Sorry I don't have a picture to post but they look just like the 'sponges' on the heater that are in 'Hara''s post. Mine have moved around the tank though. I started with one that is spherical and about the size of a quarter, and I have 2 the size of a nickel and one of those is on the glass but the bottom holds no clues. I have a new one that is smaller. I found my Arrow Crab dead near one today and can't be sure whether it had anything to do with that or not.

Thanks for any info.. David Bigler

Syconoid Sponges

Hi everyone, I was able to find these with a little help from the chat room. the white cotton balls are Syconoid Sponges. The site i found them on said they are a sign of a healthy, balanced tank, yea, but they can reach plague porportions if things get out of hand. they said they are beneficial filter feeders. Case Closed. thanks for the help dave

Back
Top Bottom