White dots and a feather duster? (pics included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonzo6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Two things I am not sure about... 72 gallon bowfront that is about 4 months old with 80 pounds of live rock. I just came across these white dots that appear flat and shaped like a small seed. They just started to appear this week. They are mainly on the black plastic in the back and a few on the glass:

WhiteDots1.JPG

WhiteDots2.JPG

Also, I have feather dusters that have come out of the live rock but I wasn't sure about this one:

FeatherDuster.JPG

Any ideas or help is appreciated!!!

The 2nd pic looks like anipasta (sp?). If it is, they will take over your tank. Fluff seems to be pretty good a IDs, she may be along shortly.

the second pic is not aiptasia. It is a polyp of some type which is an awesome hitchhiker to have. I don't know about the white dots though.

the white dots look like they might be serpulid worms.. if they are raised off of the surface with a sort of "spiral" construction that's my guess. If they are indeed serpulid worms they are harmless filter feeders.

Thanks for the info on the polyp, I couldn't find a picture of anything on-line that looked like it.

As for the white dots, they are flat just like a squished pumpkin seed (that's what my wife says they look like). They don't move and snails go right over them...

Besides the live rock and sand bed, all I have are two clowns and some crabs/snails. I'm not REAL worried since they don't seem to be spreading very rapidly and all my water tests come back fine.

I also have some of those white stuff on my glass, and i think that's what u have. They are a type of tube worms, which is just filter feeder. Nothing to worry about.

The second pic is a button polyp. Definitely not an aiptasia

FishFrik said:
I also have some of those white stuff on my glass, and i think that's what u have. They are a type of tube worms, which is just filter feeder. Nothing to worry about.

The second pic is a button polyp. Definitely not an aiptasia

Thank you!!! That puts me n' the wife's mind at ease.

Do you have snails in your tank? If so, I'd bet they could also be snail eggs. If they are soft, I'd be this is what they are. If they are hard, then I agree they are a species of tube worm.
IME, seruplids and other tube worms usually appear in hidden areas, behind equipment like powerheads or in sumps/fuges.

Definitley not harmless, whatever they may be. :)

I do have snails in the tank, prolly a half dozen or so. More white dots keep appearing though, some on the front glass now. The only thing I can think that I have done to the tank the past week was add a few new larger shells from my lfs. The new shells came out of the same tank I got the crabs and snails from though...

I'd agree the "feather duster" is a polyp. And I think tbonem91 is on it with the nerite eggs.

Nerites are one of those few snails that have a wide range and can do marine, brackish and freshwater. I believe it is the olive and zebra nerites that are commonly offered for fw tanks. Great snails, very peaceful.

the second pic is not aiptasia. It is a polyp of some type which is an awesome hitchhiker to have. I don't know about the white dots though.

Cool, I stand corrected, thanks all for not bashing me. Sorry for the incorrect ID!

Back
Top Bottom