white dots on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have abundant white, hard dots that stick to my glass. I have to use a plastic scraper to get them off during cleanings/WC. When I researched this before, I thought they were heteropods, but heteropods swim. These guys just stick to the glass (and rock). The pic isn't great, but it's the best one I have so far. You can tell the size as the background is a penguin powerehead. Any ideas?

Attachments

• heteropods.jpg
    heteropods.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 330
  • heteropods.jpg
    heteropods.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 258
They are small featherduster/tube worms. They are harmless filter feeders and are generally a sign of a healthy maturing tank.

Thanks. I assume this is some sort of larval/juvenile stage. I'll try to look up articles on that to confirm. I was told previously the same thing about heteropods being a sign of a healthy, maturing tank as well. So far, so good, i guess. I do have more mature feather/tubes and they're doing well.
I have a 3-sided display. I do not clean the side facing the wall per advice of LFS, to allow coralline algal growth. This is covered with the "dots" as well. I assume that if they're beneficial. I should just let them be. Do you agree?

Spirorbid worms don't typically get much larger than that in the home aquarium, it's not a larval stage.

Cheers
Steve

[Spirorbid worms don't typically get much larger than that in the home aquarium, it's not a larval stage. ]
Thanks, Steve. My LFS said, "Oh they're harmeless", but could not identify. That's what they are, thanks to you![/quote]

Back
Top Bottom