white flaky type salt deposits??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
i always keep getting this flaky white salt deposits on top of my tank on the backside of the light under the canopy. or atleast i believe it to be salt deposits. is there any ways to keep from getting it anymore?

It`s called salt creep. And yes it is salt. It usually gets there from having bubbles in your tank and when the bubbles break it will splatter on the back of tank and lights. Usually just a weekly wipe down with a wet rag will keep it from building up.

Your right, it is salt deposits, or salt creep. You can minimize it by reducing any splashing in the tank.

thanks a lot i think ill try and turn down the bubblestone and then make something that will deflect splash back into the water.

Just loose the bubble stone not needed in salt and causes alot of salt creep ... vinegar works well at removing salt creep ... HTH

I agree toss the bubble stone. There is no beneficial purpose in SW. I just pick off the salt creep.

I agree I'd get rid of the bubblestone. I don't get a ton of creep but I just use a wet cloth to wipe it down. Also, be sure not to let it fall back into the tank. I've always been told, if it falls on your fish or corals, it can give them burns.

good info to know, thanks. cause i would scrape it off and throw most away but was never careful about letting not fall into the tank cause i figured its just salt. and i was planning on getting a powerhead tomorrow so ill ditch the bubblestone after buying the powerhead.

What size tank do you have. You also need powerheads to avoid dead spots that will also cause algae blooms.

PH

Ok, well you will need a few powerheads. You should have good flow in the tank and ripples at the surface. This will oxygenate the water and stabilize PH.

well i ended up getting a azoo 600. i was just watching this on my dads ebay as a reference point and he ended up bidding on it anyways for me cause i was gone that day. its new and got it for like $12 so will this one work good enough or should get another one? anybody know if this is a good quality one?

PH

I am sure they are ok but I probably would have gone with a couple Maxi-Jet 1200's if you dont want to spend alot. You can get them for around $12 per plus shipping at drfosters or Bigalsonline.

Re: PH

Mike469 said:
I am sure they are ok but I probably would have gone with a couple Maxi-Jet 1200's if you dont want to spend alot. You can get them for around $12 per plus shipping at drfosters or Bigalsonline.

+1 on this. You will pay $30 easy in any LFS for these. Go online for equipment.

well i think what i will do is keep that azoo and get one of the maxi-jets and see how that works out, then if the azoo doesnt work out ill pick up another maxi jet. thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom