Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
KLN
Aquarium Advice Regular

white sand source

Does anyone know where I can find white sand -- Southdown, Yardright, Old Castle, or whatever -- in the West Palm Beach, Florida area? No luck so far at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Old 01-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

dude nothing better than the stuff at your door step !!! your allowed to tank sand from the beach just walk out chest deap or make it to the sand bar !! and it full of life !!! what we did was use trash bags to put it in so ya can carry it and then drop it in the tank !!!
filled my bros 220 that way and amazing what ya bring home

Old 01-11-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
I would not do that. you never know what the sand had been through. It could have some chemical on it that could kill every thing in the tank. i would go online and look. i was juswt looking at www.drsfostersmith.com and there sand is not that $$. i would pay the extra $5-10 to make sure it will not kill stuff. but that is just me.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

hehehe unless exxon just crashed into the beach your good !!!! where ya think they get the sand ??? mabe a bit further out but not a worry !! i added like 40 lbs right into my fuge with no issues and the worm life is crazy !!!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

mabe if it was red tide id skip the sand but if it clean go for it
Old 01-11-2004, 06:35 PM   #6

I think there is a daily limit on how much you can take. I would lokk into this before you do it.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:37 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

SouthDown is seasonal and it is also specific to the NE. But, the source of southdown isn't to far

Marcona Ocean Industries
20 Avenue M
Fort Pierce, FL 34952
561-464-1836

These are the suppliers and you can get the sand (same as southdown and aragamax) for 20.00 per ton. Do not tell them you want it for an aquarium, tell them you want it for a sandbox.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

ReefRunner's not kidding. If you say anything about fish or an aquarium they won't sell it to you. They're contractually obligated with their client... Carrib Sea (sond familiar) to not offer any competitive market on the sand they sell. Using sand for a sand box or garden is not competing.

But I would go with the first suggestion.. go to the beach with a bucket and have at it. As long as your beach is generaly clean (no factory or sewer run off near by) i wouldn't wory about any polutants. And certainly check on the daily limit.. I thought I heard someone say the FL limit was one 5 gal bucker per person per ... was it visit or day? Kevin, any insight on that?
Old 01-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea what i heard as well 5 gallons a day per person !!! tell ya its not really as easy as it sounds and was alot of work but soooooooo worth it !!! and ya not fly with it you will be amazed how many small snails and sand flees worms that will show up as soon as it hit the bottom of the tank !! we even got a small fish looked like a convict blenny it the sand !!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to noobtank
does anyone know where destin florida is...that is the type of sand i have in my tank...i think it's probably the whitest sand in florida.

Tags
sand, white sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com