White slimey film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found this in my nano, it's starting to cycle. Have no idea what this stuff is or how to get rid of it. It's taking over my coral and sea squirts. Looks kind of like the film you get on top of hot milk.

Attachments

• image-2103272261.jpg
    image-2103272261.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3800655961.jpg
    image-3800655961.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3554577545.jpg
    image-3554577545.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 77
If you are just starting your cycle, then it's probably your corals dying. When I transferred my reef into a bigger tank I experienced new tank syndrome and the spike killed all my corals. They released , what looked like, their insides and just started to decay quite quickly.

I only have one coral in there, the one pictured. It came in on the live rock, I have not added any by choice. It might be some sort of cyano? That's my guess. I used tap water, so that's probably the cause. I can try some snails/ hermits to see if they'll eat it up I guess. Or maybe I should try maracyn for saltwater?

If you're still cycling I wouldn't add any livestock. You'll only add to the problem. Ammonia is very lethal to fish and also invertebrates. What's your light cycle? Have you tested your water?

Alright, no crabs then. I haven't tested my water, won't be able to until Friday. This tank is at home, I'm away at college for now. The lights are on for about 10 hours.

While cycling it's best to go lightless IMO. During the cycle you'll already be providing enough nutrients for algae to grow, so cutting out the lights altogether will help control algae growth. There us no benaficial reason to keep the lights on during the cycle. Unless you have corals but the chances of them surviving a cycle is minimal to none.

I agree with shutting off the lights while cycling. That could be a bacteria of some kind, but it's not cyano.

Back
Top Bottom