White slimy spiderwebs and red slime ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilladybug05

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is this and should I and how do I get rid of it ... this came with the used tank and live rocks I bought... no livestock in the tank other than a snail that hitched in the sand. (thats the only thing I see anyway)

Attachments

• 100_2257.jpg
    100_2257.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_2263.jpg
    100_2263.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_2260.jpg
    100_2260.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_2265.jpg
    100_2265.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 120
It really doesnt look like slime , it looks like a redish purpleish hairy stuff, really short fuzz. The white stuff looks like a mixture of slime and spiderwebs, the particles you see stuck in it are sand stuck to the white stuff. I have not touched it so I dont know the texture.

touch the red stuff if its slimy on the rock yet powdery on sand its more than likely cyanobacteria as for the white im not sure so i cant help on that

The red stuff does not feel slimy its more like wet lint or fuzz feeling. The white stuff feels more slimy

the slimy stuff is mucous from a creature constructing a "home", and nothing to worry about. a tube worm building his tube would be my guess.

i've seen the red algae before. it's also nothing to be alarmed about and while it grows pretty quickly, it will not overgrow corals. it never really gets very long either.
asparagopsis taxiformis is the dreaded red cotton algae. that's not what you have here in my opinion.
i wouldn't do anything about it unless it becomes a problem.

Back
Top Bottom