Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

White spots on glass surface

Ever since I have moved my fishes to QT a couple weeks ago, my main tank FOWLR have been left to fallow. It still has two cleaner shrimps, a blood shrimp, a dozen of turbo snails and red leg hermit crabs.

Today I have noticed some white grain sized crusts on my main tank glass surface. Some are bigger than other and I have to use my nails to scrap them off. It looks like whitespots from the fishes. Does anyone know what it might be? Could it be whitespots?

I also notice one of my cleaner shrimp last night was pretty ichy. He was scratching himself by curing his tail right round. I thought whitespots does not affect inverts. Am I still correct to leave my main tank to fallow for 4 to 6 weeks with the inverts in there and the whitespots disease should die away? The inverts shouldn't be hosts to whitespots, right?

Old 03-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I've never heard of a disease attaching to glass. The only sources of white spots on the glass that I've ever witnessed are:

1) Eggs of some kind (I've only seen snail eggs)
2) Small sessile invertibrates (I have some and they sort of resemble barnacles)

The only way I could really tell the difference (since I have bad eyesight) when they're really small is the pattern they're in. Eggs are clustered, where the latter are usually randomly scattered.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have some very light colored coraline growing on my glass

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

hold on i found some white spots on my glass also. small white spots. tried using tweezers and all it did was break the shell. on close inspection they are some type of calcareous tube worm . and i could see some movement in and out of the tube. looks as if the shell is forming a flat spiral. very small. eyes are too old. need a good tele-maro lens. i would go with "small sessile invert" as gauge suggested. cant wait to show the wife. its a party nite

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, I assume is a good thing, right? Now that I have removed all the ones from the front, I shall give it a closer look around the back and sides. Cheers!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #6
steve-s

They are spirorbid worms. Harmless filter feeders.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
glass, spots on glass, surface, white spots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com