White stuff on lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a quesiton. Right now I am unable to post any pics because I do not have my digital camera. I will have it at the end of the week. But I have this white stuff growing on my live rock. It reminds me of a thicker coralline alagae. I was wondering if oanyone has ever experienced this and if so is it good or bad?

Thanks

Is your rock new? Tank still cycling? How much light is over the tank?

IME, new liverock or rock that needs new light over it will often grow white coraline/the coraline will turn white.

My tank is almost 4 weeks old and has cycled. I have 150 watt 12k light over the tank.

I think it is going to take a pic to identify. Is it on top of a rock or all over a rock or under the rock (a shaded area)??

It is on top of the rock and is in the open and is being hit by light

It sounds like a sponge, but that is just a guess.

+++EDIT+++
I am going to move this to the SW ID section.

I will post pics as soon as I get my camera back on Friday

I agree I think it is a sponge too, I just dont' see a lot of them out in the open in my tank. They are usully in shaded areas.

Rambo64 said:
It reminds me of a thicker coralline alagae...It is on top of the rock and is in the open and is being hit by light
Could it be dead or bleached coralline? Coralline algae does not do well under MH's. It's too intense.

I agree with MT that this could be it. I have put LR in the tank and the corraline would bleach and turn white only to turn back to it`s regular color later on. I still think a pic would help.

give me one more day and I will have picks up. thanks for all your input

Back
Top Bottom