Whoa. huge anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to my uncle's house today and he has a SW tank too. He has this HUGE anemone but he forgot what's it called. Can anyone tell me what's the name of this anemone so i could show him my "knowledge" :roll:

DSC02793_3.JPG

DSC02796_2.JPG

Thanks in advance

It's not creamy white with purple tip. It's almost all purplish pink with white tip. I wonder if that's still a sabea anemone

No, a sebae isn't a type of carpet and they don't always come white with pink/purple tips. Actually, most (not all) of the white ones you see are white due to them bleaching. A healthy sebae will be a cream or brownish color once it regains it's zooxanthellae. And depending on where it was collected, they can be different colors. I have two that I had ID'd on WWM by Fenner's crew as well as Dr. Ron Shimek. Neither have pink tips. One is shades of brown simular to the one you have pictured and one is brown/orange with green tips. Here is a link that shows some of the variations by location. I could be wrong of course but that's my best guess. HTH

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/heteraccrispa.htm

So it's bleached? how would you help it regain it's zooxanthellae? or does it do that on its own and there's nothing we could do? Im just curious about all these new things XD

Florida8 said:
Proper lighting, water and feeding :)

I agree lighting and good water conditions are gonna benefit the anemone greatly. Small meals maybe once or twice a week will help too. But IMO, your anemone looks like it has good color.

Vita mix/black powder i'm not at home so i don't have the exact name for it will help anenomes and other filter feeders grow and show their true colors. i started using it in my reef tank, and it seems to be working, still testing it though

Back
Top Bottom